1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Ugly?) Inequalities - Squares and sums

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1
    Here is the question from the book:
    ------
    Let [itex]n\geq1[/itex] and let [itex]a_1,...,a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_1,...,b_n[/itex] be real numbers. Verify the identity:
    [tex]\left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_ib_i}\right)^2 + \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n{\sum_{j=1}^n{\left(a_ib_j-a_jb_i\right)^2}} = \left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_i^2}\right)\left(\sum_{j=1}^n{b_j^2}\right)[/tex]

and conclude the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality:

[tex]\left|\sum_{i=1}^n{a_ib_i}\right| \leq \left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_i^2}\right)^{1/2} \left(\sum_{j=1}^n{b_j^2}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

Then use Cauchy-Schwartz to prove the triangle inequality:

[tex]\left(\sum_{i=1}^n{(a_i^2+b_i^2)}\right)^{1/2} \leq \left(\sum_{i=1}^n{a_i^2}\right)^{1/2} + \left(\sum_{j=1}^n{b_j^2}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]
    ----------------

I have been trying to mess around with the first one, and see what is going on, but it is looking extremely ugly, even with [itex]n=3[/itex].

Should I be trying to prove these by induction? Or are there some ways to manipulate these things easily? I guess the problem is almost notation, or that I don't know how to manipulate sums and squares properly. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put it in this form:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n{\sum_{j=1}^n{a_i b_i a_j b_j +\frac{1}{2}\left(a_ib_j-a_jb_i\right)^2 - a_i^2 b_j^2}} = 0[/tex]

Now you basically just expand the middle term and wiggle some indices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?