UK Guardian: Flat Earth Ocean Cruise

In summary: I couldn't help but laugh at the video I saw a couple of days ago. It's amazing how devoted some people are to this weird belief.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
WARNING --- I clicked on the lower link and after reading about a paragraph, my browser attempted to install spam from that site.

21st century and flat Earth - some people are truly insane. Why do people even spend their time writing articles about these events?

Likes davenn
Phinds, no idea about that.

That us the UK Guardian's official site which I use frequently.

Wrichik Basu: Probobly because some people, myself included, find this sort of thing endlessly amusing.

diogenesNY

Likes davenn and PeroK
diogenesNY said:
A group of people who believe the Earth is flat have announced their “biggest, boldest, best adventure yet”: a Flat Earth cruise scheduled for 2020.
I saw a hilarious video a couple of days ago which was a debate between an astronaut and a Flat Earther. :biggrin:

When I read this thread I for some reason went to Wikipedia to check out the so-called modern flat Earth societies,
and I happened to find a link to an amazing story which I first found hard to believe. But it appears to be true.
That cruise mentioned is not the boldest adventure, this is :)):

Article: Flat Earth Rocket Man Finally Blasts Off In Homemade Rocket To Prove Earth Is Flat (Forbes)
And here's a video of the daring, but amazingly stupid feat: youtube video link.

Likes davenn
To paraphrase: "All you-all watch the videos and read the flat-earth articles. Report back if you find some thing 1) humorous or 2) useful."

Not that the categories are exclusive. :cool:

diogenesNY said:
A group of people who believe the Earth is flat have announced their “biggest, boldest, best adventure yet”: a Flat Earth cruise scheduled for 2020.
They should make it a "scientific" adventure with a purpose, like looking for the drain plug to empty the ocean.
Of course, I wouldn't put it past one of them to pull the thing.....?:)

Likes DennisN and Evo
Wrichik Basu said:
21st century and flat Earth - some people are truly insane. Why do people even spend their time writing articles about these events?
Short version, which I think you are perfectly aware of, but nevertheless I could not resist writing it :smile::

News companies are financially dependent on subscribers and ads, journalists are financially dependent on news companies. Journalist writes flat Earth article, people read it, news company gets money, journalist gets payed, journalist can use money to buy food. :smile:

And I could not resist posting this song, which covers both money and the (poetical) revolution of Earth, a song from Cabaret:

where the lyrics has this awesome (in my opinion) section:

Money said:
[...]
When you haven't any coal in the stove
And you freeze in the winter
And you curse to the wind at your fate.
When you haven't any shoes on your feet,
Your coat's thin as paper,
And you look 30 pounds underweight
When you go to get a word of advice
From the fat little pastor,
He will tell you to love evermore.
But when hunger comes to rap,
Rat-a-tat rat-a-tat at the window
*knock knock* (at the window)
Who's there? (hunger) oh, hunger!
See how love flies out the door...
For, money makes the world go around
[...]

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, BillTre and Wrichik Basu
May they have fun on whomever's expense. I hope that trip includes a wave back to all the people at home some thousands of kilometres away via a very powerful 'spyglass' ..arrrr.. alright alright, wrong time of year. By all accounts, it should work.. flat and stuff. Even if the atmosphere makes the picture blurry, should still be able to see a silhouette of the boat.. I mean ship.

I wonder what the explanation to Coriolis effect is under the flat Earth dogma.

It's a pity in a way that the Earth isn't flat, as then the flat Earthers could prove their case by sailing off the edge.

Likes nuuskur
Kinda like:

Likes FactChecker and DennisN
BillTre said:
Kinda like:
Hilarious! :DD I had forgot about that scene. I haven't seen that movie in ages.

Here's some more humor on the topic; Columbus and other discoverers were quite aware that the Earth was round. What was probably more uncertain was what the newly discovered territories should be named, which Mitchell & Webb made a couple of funny skits about:

Likes collinsmark and FactChecker
Sobek has spoken and his wrath at this heresy shall be great and terrible.

Seriously, flerfers are absolutely wild.

Likes Drakkith and PeroK

1. What is the UK Guardian's "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise" all about?

The UK Guardian's "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise" is a cruise organized by the newspaper to explore the theory that the Earth is flat. It is a 10-day journey aboard a luxury cruise ship that will take passengers to various locations around the world to gather evidence and conduct experiments to support this theory.

2. Who can participate in the "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise"?

Anyone who is interested in the flat Earth theory can participate in the "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise". However, due to limited space on the cruise ship, tickets are sold on a first-come-first-serve basis. Participants must also be at least 18 years old and in good health to join the cruise.

3. Is the "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise" a scientific expedition?

No, the "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise" is not a scientific expedition. While the cruise will involve some experiments and data collection, it is not conducted by professional scientists and does not follow the rigorous protocols of a scientific study. The purpose of the cruise is to provide an opportunity for individuals to explore the flat Earth theory and gather evidence to support it.

4. Will there be any experts or scientists on board the cruise?

Yes, there will be experts and scientists on board the "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise". The UK Guardian has invited several guest speakers who are proponents of the flat Earth theory to join the cruise and share their knowledge and evidence with the participants. However, it is important to note that these individuals may not have formal scientific training or credentials.

5. What kind of evidence will be presented on the "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise"?

The evidence presented on the "Flat Earth Ocean Cruise" will vary and may include personal observations, experiments, and data collected during the cruise. The goal is to provide a diverse range of evidence to support the flat Earth theory and encourage critical thinking and discussion among the participants.

Back