Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultrasonic crack detection in glass bottles

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    I'm working on a project for a bottling plant that is trying to make a vision-based machine to detect cracked glass bottles before they attempt to fill them.

It seems that the vision & backlight approach is the standard way to do this in the industry, but the shape of the bottle in this application makes this a tricky/expensive machine.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with some type of ultrasonic crack detection methodology? I'm just going on a hunch here, but I think that at least some cracks should change the resonate frequency of a bottle enough to detect the change..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide a pic of the bottle's shape?

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Shows a lot of flaws --- laser plus beam expander (cylindrical lens in front of laser level light source) and a diode array looking for reflections, or reduced transmission.

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Support a bottle by one point, say by the cap, then tap the bottle so it rings like a bell at a fundamental frequency. If there is a fracture in a bottle it will sound dull and generate a short burst of harmonics of the fundamental frequency. I expect the harmonics generated to be even because the crack opens for part of the cycle but is closed on the other half cycle. With a good bottle the ringing will continue for longer at the fundamental frequency and there will be less 2'nd harmonic generated.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook