Unable to do fundamental factoring

In summary, the conversation revolved around trying to factor the polynomial t^7+2t^6-24t^5. The person was struggling with finding a solution, but with the help of another person, they were able to come up with t^5(t+6)(t-4) as the final answer.
Neil6790
I have been trying this problem for a long time now.

Factor the polynomial t^7+2t^6-24t^5.

So far I came up with t^n(t+x)(t+y). I have no clue on how to work this out because i am only able to do them to the 2nd degree. I can really use the help.

Thanks,
Neil

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]t^7+2t^6-24t^5[/tex]

write t7 as t2*t5 and simliarly t6 as t*t5.

see what you can do now?

Oh wow indeed i was able to do it.

I was able to get t^5(t+6)(t-4)

thanks a lot for the help

1. What does it mean to be unable to do fundamental factoring?

Unable to do fundamental factoring means that a mathematical expression or equation cannot be simplified or broken down into simpler parts. This may be due to the complexity of the expression or a lack of knowledge of the necessary techniques.

2. Why is it important to be able to do fundamental factoring?

Fundamental factoring is an essential skill in mathematics as it allows for simplification of expressions and equations, making them easier to work with and solve. It is also a key component in more advanced mathematical concepts and problem-solving.

3. What are some strategies for overcoming difficulty with fundamental factoring?

One strategy is to practice with simpler examples and gradually work up to more complex expressions. Another is to familiarize oneself with common factoring techniques and patterns. Seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any common mistakes made when attempting to do fundamental factoring?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to check for common factors, incorrectly applying the distributive property, and not fully simplifying the resulting expression. It is important to check work carefully and practice frequently to avoid these mistakes.

5. How does understanding fundamental factoring relate to real-world applications?

Understanding fundamental factoring is relevant in various fields such as finance, engineering, and computer science. For example, in finance, factoring can be used to simplify complex financial equations. In engineering, it can be used to simplify equations in structural analysis. In computer science, it is used in algorithms for efficient data processing.