Observational anomalies in Earth orbit besides pioneer anomaly

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 4K views
adastra
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
What are the phenomenon so far encountered by scientists, that happens in Earth orbit? I mean observational anomaly

One of such phenomenon is pioneer anomaly.

what are the others?

Anyone please add to the list, or refer me to some reading resource
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
adastra said:
What are the phenomenon so far encountered by scientists, that happens in Earth orbit? I mean observational anomaly

One of such phenomenon is pioneer anomaly.

what are the others?

Anyone please add to the list, or refer me to some reading resource

You are painting with an extremely broad brush: The pioneer probes are farther than Earth orbit by 6 or 7 orders of magnitude - (i.e. if each individual bristle is an Earth orbit, then your brush is about 5 kilometers wide)
 
DaveC426913 said:
You are painting with an extremely broad brush: The pioneer probes are farther than Earth orbit by 6 or 7 orders of magnitude - (i.e. if each individual bristle is an Earth orbit, then your brush is about 5 kilometers wide)

I don't get this brush thing... if each bristle is 150 mln km how is it possible for the brush to be 108 times thinner?
 
Borek said:
I don't get this brush thing... if each bristle is 150 mln km how is it possible for the brush to be 108 times thinner?
I think Dave meant to say if you reduce an Earth orbit to the size of a bristle, the brush with which the OP is painting is about 5 kilometers wide.
 
I actually meant, pioneer anomaly is an anomaly detected first while that spacecraft was in Earth orbit. it got more kinetic energy, than it was supposed to.

This anomaly is yet unexplained.

I asked for similar anomaly and observational problems.

thanx
 
adastra said:
I actually meant, pioneer anomaly is an anomaly detected first while that spacecraft was in Earth orbit. it got more kinetic energy, than it was supposed to.
I am highly dubious of this. Do you have a reference for iths?
 
And where in there does it say that the craft was affected while still in Earth orbit??

Please check your facts.
 
The topic of this thread is ridiculously broad. adastra, I suggest that you take some time to think about the questions you wish to ask, and formulate them in some detail. I'm closing this thread. If you wish to ask a specific question, then please start a new thread. Also, note that wikipedia is not acceptable as a reference here at PF: you must link to a published, peer-reviewed paper.