1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad Applied Math + Computer Science or Computing

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    I am currently considering either a BSc (Applied Math and Computer Science) or BSc(Computing) at a distance learning university called UNISA. From what I can see the former is the one I think would be best as it has the best math courses between the two(Computing only has Linear Algebra,Calculus A while App. Math+Comp Sci has these plus Differential equations,ODEs,Discrete math,Special relativity etc.)

This would be my first degree and I have almost no credible work experience to speak of except a few failed attempts at entrepreneurship and helping out in family businesses.At 26, I guess you could say I'm having a bit of a quarter-life crisis.I am extremely interested in technology but I'm not sure if I want to pursue a mainstream enterprise software development career or a more scientific or quantitative career.I would really like to have at least both options available to me when I graduate.The BSc in computing to me would kind of shut me out of more math rigorous careers.

Do I focus on software engineering or get a more broad degree like MIT's EECS?I would like to go for at least a masters degree in the future as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2
    Most job markets are local. If the main goal of your education is gainful employment, you should seek advice from those familiar with your local job markets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook