Understanding Bras and Kets as Vectors and Tensors
- Level: Graduate
- Thread starter Phrak
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Tensors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
154 replies · 26K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Phrak
- 4,266
- 7
Hans de Vries said:You may have an argument in that I implicitly assume that in [itex]R\otimes R[/itex] one is a row vector and the other is a column vector, so an nx1 vector times a 1xn vector is an nxn matrix, but I wouldn't even know how to express a transpose operation at higher ranks without people loosing track of the otherwise very
simple math.
Regards, Hans
Transposition is more of a notational device, than anything, to keep track of where the rows and columns are.
In higher ranks, you can use labels to keep track rows, columns, depth..., and use a modified Einstein summation to multiply matrices.
[tex]Y = M^{T} \Rightarrow Y_{cr} = M_{rc}[/tex]
[tex](M_{abc...z} N_{abc...z})_{(fg)} = \stackrel{\Sum (M_{abc...z} N_{abc...z})}{f,g=i, i=1...n}, f[/tex]
__________________________
Any mistakes I blame on LaTex
Phrak
- 4,266
- 7
Hans de Vries said:You may have an argument in that I implicitly assume that in [itex]R\otimes R[/itex] one is a row vector and the other is a column vector, so an nx1 vector times a 1xn vector is an nxn matrix, but I wouldn't even know how to express a transpose operation at higher ranks without people loosing track of the otherwise very
simple math.
Regards, Hans
Transposition is more of a notational device, than anything, to keep track of where the rows and columns are. Which elements combine with which elements between two tensors is unchange by
In higher ranks, you can use labels to keep track of rows, columns, depth...etc, and use a modified Einstein summation to multiply matrices.
[tex]Y = M^{T} \Rightarrow Y_{cr} = M_{rc}[/tex]
[tex](M_{abc...f} N_{c\: d\: e...z})_{(dp)} \equiv \sum_{d_i , p_i \ i=1...n} (M_{abc...f} N_{c\: d\: e...z})}\ , \ \ \ \ d \neq p[/tex]
[tex]L_{abc_{m}e_{m}f_{m}c_{n}e_{n}f_{n}ghi...o,qrs...z} = (M_{abcef} N_{efg...z})[/tex]
______________________________________________________________________
Any mistakes now, in the past, or ever, I blame on LaTex, whether I'm using it or not.
mrandersdk
- 243
- 1
Phrak said:mrandersdk-
If |00>,|01>,|10> and |11> (1=up,0=down)
are linear independent vectors, then <01|01> = 0,
rather than <01|01> = <0|0><1|1>, as you suggest.
no, [tex]|01>^\dagger = <01|[/tex]
Phrak
- 4,266
- 7
mrandersdk, Hurkl-
I posted:
If |00>,|01>,|10> and |11> (1=up,0=down)
are linear independent vectors, then <01|01> = 0,
rather than <01|01> = <0|0><1|1>, as you suggest.
I figure, I misread <01|01> as <01|10> 
(I wouldn't mind if someone deleted my extra and partially edited post, #152.)
I posted:
If |00>,|01>,|10> and |11> (1=up,0=down)
are linear independent vectors, then <01|01> = 0,
rather than <01|01> = <0|0><1|1>, as you suggest.
Hurkyl said:How do you figure?

(I wouldn't mind if someone deleted my extra and partially edited post, #152.)
Similar threads
- HJ Farnsworth
- · Replies 5 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 5
- dyn
- · Replies 5 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 5
- skynelson
- · Replies 5 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 5
- Niles
- · Replies 3 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 3