Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Einstein's field equations

1. Aug 21, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm interested in trying to understand Einstein's field equations, I'm a physics student due to start an astrophysics course next year. I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice where to start?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It's definitely nice, but I wouldn't call it introduction.

A really introductory book, for people more interested in astrophysics than in mathematical formalism, is
    M. Berry, Principles of Cosmology and Gravitation
    That book is definitely a good start, but certainly not a good end.

For those (future astrophysicists) who do not want to waste time with easy introductions and want to jump immediately to serious stuff, I would recommend
    S. Weinberg, Gravitation and Cosmology

The problem with Weinberg's book is that it is quite long, so it is not an introduction either. For those who want a SHORT (but still serious) introduction to general relativity I recommend
    P.A.M. Dirac, General Theory of Relativity (77 pages long !!)

But neither of those is my favored book on general relativity. In my opinion, the best lectures/book is the one by Carroll, either the free shorter version:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019
    or the longer one:
    S. Caroll, Spacetime and Geometry

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. Aug 21, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Aug 31, 2014 #5
    I agree with the particulars supplied to students of general relativity.
    But in my opinion, the most recommended is the excellent General Relativity, B.Schutz. The reason is the following: exposes all the RG using a modern mathematical approach, which makes everything simpler. Many authors follow Schutz.

7. Jun 29, 2015 #6
    Indeed, not only by modern mathematical approach, simple and intuitive, but also by good teaching used, the work of B.Schutz is suitable not only for beginners but for veterans in general relativity as well as teachers of matter. It is a work, in my opinion, simply wonderful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook