1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding Electricity and Circuits

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks like crap to me.

4. Jun 15, 2013 #3

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Looks to be right on target to me, basic EM field theory of electricity.

5. Jun 15, 2013 #4
    Hi,
    Can you tell me why or where it is wrong? I can't recognize what is wrong? I intented to read it to help me understand basic things but I am confused.

6. Jun 16, 2013 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

For the purposes of learning basic circuit analysis methods, the details of the ultimate physics beneath the phenomena are not as important as having a standard working model that is consistent, easy to apply, and yields equations and solutions that accord with measurements of real circuits. The potential \ current flow model, along with electrostatics and magnetism as present by your school texts should be more than adequate, and will accord exactly with what your expected to know for examination purposes.

When you move on to more advanced electromagnetic theory and study how energy can be transported by waves in fields and so on, then more of the the particulars of the underlying model will become important.

My simple dismissing of the paper as "crap" was hasty and perhaps unfair. I should have taken the time to formulate a more cogent response. Sorry about that!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  7. Jun 16, 2013 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Every few days we have some poor confused person trying to shake off the first impressions of this 'working model' that makes it easy for simple testing.

The basic understanding of EM fields actually helps students with understanding circuit theory and the lack of that understanding leaves them with a first impressions mental block to seeing how beautiful the reality of electricity and circuits is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted