Understanding EM Wave Transfer when Person Touches Amplifier Input

• Thread starter derek10
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of battery-operated amplifiers and oscilloscopes picking up mains noise at 50Hz when a person touches the input cable. It is explained that this is due to capacitance between the mains wiring and the body, rather than the person acting as an antenna. This is because the human body is not a very good antenna at 50Hz.
derek10
To avoid derailing this thread, I will post a new one. Here's the discussion context.

sophiecentaur said:
Your question is fundamentally flawed, I'm afraid because it's harder than that, in fact. Photons do not 'have a wavelength'. They are not classical particles but quantum entities. What you 'are allowed' to say is that the EM wave they are associated with, has a wavelength. There is no fundamental maximum for wavelength but EM at very low frequencies has very low energy photons and becomes harder and harder to detect because you just can't make receiving equipment that can 'extract' the signal out of the space it's traveling through. (The antenna would have to be several thousand km long to intercept a 50Hz signal)
derek10 said:
why can battery-operated amplifiers and oscilloscopes pick up the mains noise (50 Hz in Europe) when you touch the input cable?
sophiecentaur said:
Because the em wave is not a 'launched wave, traveling free through space but guided on the wire. To launch a significant level of signal into space. from a circuit, it has to be 'matched', which requires a radiating structure that's not much smaller than one wavelength. A wire / person link is a totally different situation.
Thanks

Consider this case:
Battery operated amplifier (isolated from mains)
Person, which is isolated from mains (not touching anything except the amplifier input,)

when the person touches the amplifier input, it will buzz at 50Hz (tested myself), I though it was because the home wires acting like a emitter antenna, the person as a receiver antenna, and the finger touching it like a cable, but the highlighted Sophiecentaur's comment confused me. Is this phenomenon caused by a different mechanism? Is it because the person organs, skin, blood vessels, etc sum up to enormous lengths (I read up to 60000 miles) and making an antenna? Is capacitive/inductive coupling possible in these circumstances?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The human body is not a very good antenna at 50Hz. It's due to capacitance between the mains wiring and the body.

Likes derek10
CWatters said:
The human body is not a very good antenna at 50Hz. It's due to capacitance between the mains wiring and the body.
Thank you, that's what I suspected: wires and person are plates and the space between form the capacitor

1. What is an EM wave?

An EM wave, short for electromagnetic wave, is a type of energy that is produced by the movement of electrically charged particles. It consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How does EM wave transfer occur when a person touches an amplifier input?

When a person touches an amplifier input, they become a part of the circuit and can act as an antenna, picking up and transmitting EM waves. This can cause interference and disrupt the flow of the signal, leading to noise or distortion in the audio output.

3. What factors can affect the transfer of EM waves in this scenario?

The transfer of EM waves when a person touches an amplifier input can be affected by various factors such as the person's body composition, the location and strength of the EM source, and the type and quality of the amplifier and its components.

4. Are there any safety concerns when handling EM waves in this situation?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when handling EM waves in this situation. If the amplifier is connected to a power source, there is a risk of electric shock if the person comes in contact with the live components. Additionally, the EM waves can also potentially cause interference with other electronic devices nearby.

5. How can one prevent or minimize the impact of EM wave transfer when touching an amplifier input?

To prevent or minimize the impact of EM wave transfer when touching an amplifier input, one can use proper grounding techniques, shielded cables, and high-quality components. It is also important to follow safety precautions and avoid touching live components while the amplifier is in use.