Understanding Energy Density of Photon Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Gregg
Messages
452
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



##u(\omega) d\omega \propto \frac{(\hbar \omega) (\omega^2)}{e^{\hbar \omega \over k_B T}-1} d \omega ##

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



##\hbar \omega ## is the energy of a photon

##\frac{1}{e^{\hbar \omega \over k_B T}-1} ##and this is the density of states for bosons. So you have the energy of the photon and the density of states. Why is there an extra ##\omega^2## term? I can't work out what it represents. I thought that it could be a consequence of the ##d\omega## but I am unsure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


If I recall correctly (which I may very well not be doing), ##\omega^2## comes from the phase space factor. Essentially, you need to account for all the different direction the photon can be moving.
 


the phase space factor is proportional to
d^3(k)=k^2dkd(cosθ)dβ,where k^2 can be written as ω^2/c^2.
 


The term [itex]\left[\exp(\hbar \omega/k_{B} T) - 1\right]^{-1}[/itex] is the average number of photons with energy [itex]\hbar \omega[/itex] according to the Bose-Einstein distribution. The density of states is proportional to [itex]\omega^2[/itex].