Understanding Gravitational Acceleration at Different Depths on Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the decrease in the gravitational acceleration g at a depth of 64 km from the Earth's surface, given a gravitational acceleration of 10 m/s^2 at the surface and a radius of 6400 km. The formula Gd = G0(1-d/R) is proposed, but the solution becomes complicated. The expert suggests correcting the values used for G0 and R, and reminds the individual to convert all units to a consistent system. The correct solution is found to be Gd = 10(1-64/6400) = 9.9 m/s^2.
Deebu R

Homework Statement

If we take the gravitational acceleration at the Earth's surface as 10,/s^2 and the radius of the Earth as 6400km, decrease in the value of the gravitational acceleration g at a depth of 64 km from its surface would be ...,/s^2

2. The attempt at a solution
I was never really good in physics or maths so forgive me if this sound too stupid.
I tried using acceleration due to gravity at a distence d to the center,

Gd= Go [ 1-d/R], where Go is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of earth.
But when I did this the solution became very messed up. Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could show your calculation. Your formula seems reasonable and when I substitute your values in, I get a simple answer without any complications.

Deebu R said:
I was never really good in physics or maths so forgive me if this sound too stupid.
I tried using acceleration due to gravity at a distence d to the center,

Gd= Go [ 1-d/R], where Go is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of earth.
But when I did this the solution became very messed up. Thank you very much for your help.
i think your equation is good -try to understand the relation...see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth#Depth
as you move inside the Earth's surface g decreases from the surface value and is now proportional to (R-d) and then you can proceed further..
this decrease is due tl less mass being enclosed by the spherical volume of radius (R-d).

Merlin3189 said:
Perhaps you could show your calculation. Your formula seems reasonable and when I substitute your values in, I get a simple answer without any complications.
I got this,
Gd= 10 [1-64/6400]
Gd= 10 [99/100] = 9.9

Last edited:
Your G0 must be wrong, since we know it to be around 9.8 m/sec2. This is probably what you spotted originally.

Looking at the values substituted in your formula, I can't see anything which could be the mass of the earth.
You seem to have put M=6.13 x 10-4kg - a bit light for an earth!

Also I don't agree with your value for R = 6400 m. You are mixing your units. You were told R = 6400 km. You must convert everything to a consistent set of units. Here that needs to be metres to match the G constant. So R= 6.4 x 106 m

I think the gravitational constant G=6.67 x 10-11 Nm2/kg2
and Earth mass M=5.97 x 1024 kg

Of course, once you have calculated g0 your calculation for gp is ok. But you started with a bad value for g0

BUT you were told to use g0 = 10 m/sec2 so you just have to put this into your second equation and you'll get the right answer.

Well done for spotting that your Gp must be wrong with an acceleration of 10-22 m/sec2

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and is a key factor in the structure and behavior of the universe.

2. Why is gravitation important?

Gravitation is important because it plays a crucial role in shaping and governing the behavior of objects in the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets, and without it, the universe as we know it would not exist.

3. How does gravitation work?

Gravitation works by exerting a force of attraction between two objects with mass. The strength of this force is determined by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass, the stronger the force, and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force.

4. What did Newton contribute to our understanding of gravitation?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the laws of gravitation in the 17th century. He developed the theory of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. What is the role of gravitation in modern physics?

Gravitation continues to play a crucial role in modern physics, as it is a key component of Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. This theory provides a deeper understanding of the nature of gravitation and its effects on the structure of space and time. Gravitation is also a vital part of quantum mechanics, which seeks to explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.