What is the Gravitational Acceleration at a Height Equal to Earth's Diameter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deebu R
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravitation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 4K views
Deebu R said:
g*=0.11 x 9.81=1.079m/s^2.
Is that the answer?
What if I told you that 0.11111...= 1/9

What would your answer be then?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU and Deebu R
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
It can only be one of those!
Well yeah. I guess...what will I do if the options are like that?Should I go for option d?
 
Chestermiller said:
What if I told you that 0.11111...= 1/9

What would your answer be then?
Actually I got the answer as 1/9 but since the option given are in decimal form I divided it to get 0.1111...
 
Deebu R said:
Actually I got the answer as 1/9 but since the option given are in decimal form I divided it to get 0.1111...
Well, 9.81/9 = 1.09
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Deebu R
Chestermiller said:
Well, 9.81/9 = 1.09
OHHHHHHH! I did not think of that. This is mind blowing. I am happy. Thank you very much for your time and effort. It felt really really nice.
 
In the end there was no complicated calculation. It was way more simple than I thought. I felt like I just watched a suspense thriller. Thank you guys very much for helping me.
 
Deebu R said:
In the end there was no complicated calculation. It was way more simple than I thought. I felt like I just watched a suspense thriller. Thank you guys very much for helping me.

You got there in the end, but effectively all you had to do was:

Gravitational acceleration -> inverse square law -> 3x distance -> (1/3) squared = 1/9 x acceleration -> 9.81/9 = 1.09
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444
Deebu R said:
In the end there was no complicated calculation. It was way more simple than I thought. I felt like I just watched a suspense thriller. Thank you guys very much for helping me.
You should really be thanking Perok and BvU, not me.
 
If you promise to work with symbols as much as you can I'm more than rewarded...