Understanding Hertzian Contact Stress in Pin-Link Connections"

  • Thread starter Thread starter har.sur
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Contact Stress
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 16K views
har.sur
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
As shown in the attachment, the link (blue) is connected to two pins A and B (red).

Force is applied by the pin A on the link along the x direction purely.

A reaction force is expected at the corresponding point of contact between the pin B and the link

I am told that the compressive stress produced around the contact region of the pin B and the link, is explained by the hertzian stress.

I am unable to find any literature that might give me the method to calculate the contact stresses using hertzian stress criteria.

1. Is hertzian stress criteria the right way to approach this problem?
2. If yes, could someone please tell me how.

Thank you.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Your basic assumption of Hertzian stresses may not be a bad one. I would first consider looking at Roark's, Chapter 13, Table 33, Load condition 2c to determine the bearing stresses.
 
I don't think Hertzian stress will act in your problem.
Gear rolling,rollers under friction drive applications are similar examples of hertzian stress
In your problem pin is fixed with link and together pin with link rotating for this type of problem you search also hoop stress topics

Prakash