Small bearing or low-friction "pin" to assemble t-slot frame

In summary, The individual is seeking assistance with finding a bearing or alternative solution to allow rotation along one axis in a specific type of slot. They are primarily concerned with cost and durability and have considered using a simple pin or dowel with lubrication. Suggestions for potential solutions include a swivel key ring, a barrel bearing swivel, or using an M5 cheese head bolt with a square nut. Lubrication options mentioned include grease or locktite.
jamesson
Howdy folks

I have to say up-front, that I am not an ME by trade. My background is in EE. So, I apologize in advance if I accidentally make my question confusing.

I need to join a couple of these

http://www.minitecframing.com/Produ...talog_Pages/20.1074_19X11_Profile_Square.html

with a bearing that will allow rotation along one axis. I need to provide a bearing that will go in the outer slot (red rectangle) and provide rotation around the central axis (blue line)

upload_2017-9-23_15-23-33.png

Could be a bearing, could be a simple "pin" of Teflon or some other low-friction material. I would like the option of either fixing linear motion in the slot or letting it move freely,
upload_2017-9-23_15-24-33.png

but if only one of those options is possible, I will go with whatever is cheapest. As you can see from the site, they have their own nuts and bolts for fixed joints, so if my only (reasonably priced) option is to have something sitting outside the slot, so be it.

The primary design parameter is price, followed closely by durability. I expect it to be used 5-10 times a day for a period of some years, and experience lateral stress (perpendicular to axis of rotation) of approximately 20-40 lbs. Also, if it's any more than $1/piece, I may have to rethink the project.

In general, I am extremely curious about the process you folks use to find stuff like this. I'm assuming people don't just send drawings to McMaster-Carr?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Joe

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nothing specific but a Google search for Swivel Key Ring returns many ideas that may lead to something.

I also tried Swivel Lifting Rings but they are rated in tons of lift ability and prices are the 3-digit variety.

Fishermen use something called a Barrel Bearing Swivel that may be modifiable, 60lb test and $0.50 each. see:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H991N3S/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So there are a few leads, hope it helps.

Tom

For that kind of duty cycle perhaps you would consider a simple dowel or pin inserted into a bushing. Add a little grease.

tygerdawg said:
For that kind of duty cycle perhaps you would consider a simple dowel or pin inserted into a bushing. Add a little grease.
Where would I get a pin like that? Or grease?

Google suggests that the head of an M5 cheese head bolt has a diameter of 8.5mm which would just about fit the 8.6mm slot? Perhaps you could use one of the M5 square nuts they sell into the other side. Adjust the screw through a hole and hit the threads of the square nut with locktite or similar?

CWatters said:
Google suggests that the head of an M5 cheese head bolt has a diameter of 8.5mm which would just about fit the 8.6mm slot? Perhaps you could use one of the M5 square nuts they sell into the other side. Adjust the screw through a hole and hit the threads of the square nut with locktite or similar?

Absolutely worth a shot as a proof of concept. Any suggestions for lubrication?

Wheel bearing grease?

1. What is a small bearing or low-friction "pin" used for in assembling a t-slot frame?

A small bearing or low-friction "pin" is typically used as a connector or joint in a t-slot frame system. It allows for smooth movement and easy assembly of the frame components.

2. How do I choose the right size of small bearing or low-friction "pin" for my t-slot frame?

The size of the small bearing or low-friction "pin" will depend on the dimensions of your t-slot frame and the load it needs to support. It is important to carefully measure and consider the weight and size of your frame before selecting the appropriate bearing or pin.

3. Can I use any type of small bearing or low-friction "pin" for my t-slot frame?

No, it is important to use a bearing or pin specifically designed for t-slot frames. These are typically made of a durable material such as stainless steel and have the correct dimensions and shape to fit securely in the t-slot grooves of the frame.

4. How do I install small bearings or low-friction "pins" in a t-slot frame?

The installation process may vary depending on the specific type of bearing or pin you are using. However, in general, you will need to first insert the bearing or pin into the t-slot groove, then use a tool such as a hex key to tighten it in place. It is important to ensure that the bearing or pin is securely in place before adding any weight or pressure to the frame.

5. Are there any maintenance or lubrication requirements for small bearings or low-friction "pins" in a t-slot frame?

It is recommended to regularly clean and inspect the bearings or pins in your t-slot frame to ensure they are free of dirt or debris. If necessary, you can also apply a small amount of lubricant to the bearings or pins to maintain smooth movement. However, be sure to use a lubricant that is compatible with the material of your frame and bearings.