Understanding Hess's Law: Calculating Heat of Reaction

  • Thread starter Thread starter bobbluecow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Law Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bobbluecow
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
what steps should I follow in order to hess questions like one like this one:

Predict the heat of reaction when hydrochloric acid reacts with ammonia to form ammonium chloride.

I am not really sure how to even start I am just overall confused with Hess’s law
any help would be very much apperciated! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the heat of formation of NH4+, Cl-, HCl, and NH3, and then subtract the right of the equn from the left to get the solution.

The principle here is that the energy on the right should be equal to the energy on the left. The gap that you will get should be the energy released, which is your heat of reaction.