1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding nullspace (kernel) of a matrix

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the kernel of the matrix:

[PLAIN]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9015/53369959.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I row-reduce it and get:

[PLAIN]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1391/97980793.jpg [Broken]

The system of equations the row-reduced form equals 0.

So I set x[itex]_{3}[/itex] and x[itex]_{4}[/itex] as the free variables and solve for x[itex]_{2}[/itex]: x[itex]_{2}[/itex] = -x[itex]_{3}[/itex] - x[itex]_{4}[/itex]

Substitute that into the top equation to get x[itex]_{1}[/itex] -4(x[itex]_{3}[/itex]+x[itex]_{4}[/itex]) +2x[itex]_{3}[/itex] +7x[itex]_{4}[/itex] = 0

Solve for x[itex]_{1}[/itex]: x[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 2x[itex]_{3}[/itex] - 3x[itex]_{4}[/itex]

From this we get:

Vector(2x[itex]_{3}[/itex]-3x[itex]_{4}[/itex], -x[itex]_{3}[/itex]-x[itex]_{4}[/itex], x[itex]_{3}[/itex], x[itex]_{4}[/itex])

So ker(A) = x = x[itex]_{3}[/itex](2,-1,1,0) + x[itex]_{4}[/itex](-3,-1,0,1)

What does this mean essentially? I know how to solve it, but I don't really understand what I'm doing or what this is useful for. As far as I understand, the kernel is a subspace of a linear map, so what does this translate to in practical terms?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

well a linear transformation maps one vector space into another. the kernel is a measure of how many vectors get annihilated by the linear transformation (we lose entire dimensions at a time).

in this case, we lose 2 dimensions, meaning there is only 2 left for the image space. the matrix A condenses R^4 down to a two dimensional plane in R^3, by sending an entire 2-dimensional plane to the origin.

it's easier to understand what this means with some really basic examples (we will assume the standard bases are used):

suppose T:R^3-->R^2 is the map T(x,y,z) = (x,y). we just dump the 3rd dimension. this has the matrix:

[1 0 0]
    [0 1 0], and it's pretty clear that the nullspace of T is {(0,0,z) : z in R} (the z-axis).

or suppose L:R^3-->R^3 is the map L(x,y,z) = (x,x,x). this has the matrix

[1 0 0]
    [1 0 0]
    [1 0 0], and has nullspace {(0,y,z) : y,z in R}. here our image space is just the line x(1,1,1), anything in the yz-plane maps to the origin.

the nullspace tells you how much information you are losing because of a linear transformation T. if a nullspace is just {0}, you know that T is preserving a faithful copy of the original space (although it may "stretch" or "rotate" vectors, we can still trade coordinates one-for-one). a matrix for such a T just sends a basis straight over to some other basis.

in terms of solving systems of linear equations, finding x for which Ax = 0, and finding nullspace(A), are the same problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook