How Do You Determine the Range of a Matrix?

In summary, the range of a matrix is the set of all possible values obtained by multiplying the matrix with any vector. It can be calculated by finding the linearly independent column vectors and their linear combinations. The range tells us about the dimension of the column space, number of linearly independent columns, and rank of the matrix. Elementary row operations can affect the range, but not the dimension or rank. The range cannot be larger than the column space as it is a subset defined by linear combinations of the column vectors.
WK95

Homework Statement

##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & -1 & -1 \\1 & 2 & 0 & 1 \\-1 & 1 & 3 & 5 \\2 & 3 & -1 & 0\end{bmatrix}##
a) Determine the range of L_A

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The row-reduced matrix is as follows
##\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & -2 & -3 \\0 & 1 & 1 & 2 \\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}##

Then
##2x_{3}+3x_{4}##

##-x_{3}-2x_{4}##

##x_{3}##

##x_{4}##

Is this correct?

Homework Statement

##L \big( \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\c & d \end{bmatrix} \big) = \begin{bmatrix}0 & a \\b & c \end{bmatrix}##
a) Show that L is a linear transformation.
b) Define L^{k} = L \circ L^{k-1} for every integer k >= 2

Homework Equations

To be a linear transformation, these must be true
i) ##f(x_{1})+f(x_{2})=f(x_{1} + x_{2})##
ii) ##cf(x_{1})=f(cx_{1})##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm not sure how to start showing this. For i) do I add the two matrices? For ii) do I just multiply each entry of the first matrix by c?
b) I don't know where to start at all. I'm not even sure what the question is asking.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this two separate exercises ? Then why not start two separate threads?

As for the second exercise:
i) yes, but I would not call them "the" two matrices, but "any" two matrices
ii) yes, but you confuse everyone if you use c twice.

For the first exercise I think you want to check what values linear combinations of the columns can assume. So why row-reduce the thing ?

For the first exercise, I though to row reduce it then find that x3 and x4 can be any real number by x1 and x2 depend on x3 and x4.

For the second exercise, my textbook uses that same notation and uses c twice.

Row reducing is fine (I did some reading up...) because it doesn't affect the dependence relations between the column vectors.
This way you find that first two columns are linearly independent. 3 and 4 are linear combinations of these two.

Don't use the same c. Prove that ##L \big( x \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\c & d \end{bmatrix} \big) = x\ L \big( \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\c & d \end{bmatrix} \big) ##

So how does that lead me to finding the range?

Bump.

Take the standard basis ##\{e_1,e_2,e_3,e_4\}## of ##\mathbb{R}^4##. This is a basis so it spans the entire space.
Now, we know that the image ##\{L_A(e_1), L_A(e_2), L_A(e_3), L_A(e_4)\}## spans the range of ##L_A##. So find the images of the basis vectors to obtain a set that spans the space. Then see if you can extract a basis from the set.

Related to How Do You Determine the Range of a Matrix?

1. What is the definition of the range of a matrix?

The range of a matrix is the set of all possible values that can be obtained by multiplying the matrix with any vector. It represents the span of the column vectors of the matrix.

2. How is the range of a matrix calculated?

The range of a matrix can be calculated by finding the linearly independent column vectors of the matrix and then finding all possible linear combinations of those vectors.

3. What does the range of a matrix tell us about the matrix?

The range of a matrix can tell us about the dimension of the column space of the matrix, the number of linearly independent columns, and the rank of the matrix.

4. Is the range of a matrix affected by elementary row operations?

Yes, elementary row operations can affect the range of a matrix. However, they do not change the dimension of the column space or the rank of the matrix.

5. Can the range of a matrix be larger than its column space?

No, the range of a matrix cannot be larger than its column space. The range is a subset of the column space and is defined by the linear combinations of the column vectors.