Understanding of the fourier coefficients?

In summary, the conversation discusses an example of finding the Fourier coefficients and how the value of bn is determined to be 0 for even values of n and 2/npi for odd values of n. The process involves substituting different values of n into the formula and using the properties of cosine to simplify the calculation.
cabellos
Im just looking through examples of finding the Fourier coefficients.

in one particular example bn is found to be = (-1/npi) (cosnpi - cos 0)

then it says this is 0 when n is even
and 2/npi when n is odd

are we just substituting values of n e.g. 1,2,3... to find this result?

i apologise if i am doing something stupid with my calculation but when i put even numbers in place of n i do not get 0 as it states i should?

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(n*pi) - cos(0) = cos(n*pi) - 1 = (-1)n - 1

(-1)n = 1 when n is even and -1 when n is odd.
So when n is even: 1-1 = 0, when odd: -1-1 = -2
These are of course divided by -n*pi to get bn.

Last edited:
cosine of an odd multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] is -1 and cosine of an even multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] is 1. That's exactly what they are doing.

1. What are Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are the coefficients that represent the amplitude and phase of each harmonic component in a Fourier series. They are used to decompose a periodic signal into a sum of sinusoidal components.

2. How are Fourier coefficients calculated?

Fourier coefficients are calculated using the Fourier transform, which converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. The coefficients can then be found by analyzing the resulting frequency spectrum.

3. Why are Fourier coefficients important?

Fourier coefficients are important because they allow us to analyze and understand complex signals by breaking them down into simpler components. They are also widely used in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound analysis, and data compression.

4. How do Fourier coefficients help in understanding signals?

Fourier coefficients provide insight into the frequency content of a signal, which can help in understanding its behavior and characteristics. They also allow us to manipulate signals by modifying their frequency components.

5. Do all signals have Fourier coefficients?

No, not all signals have Fourier coefficients. Only periodic signals can be decomposed into a Fourier series and therefore have Fourier coefficients. Non-periodic signals can still be analyzed using other techniques, such as the Fourier transform.