Understanding proper distance in Schwarzschild solution.

In summary, the Schwarzschild solution is a mathematical model that describes the gravitational field of a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It is used in the field of general relativity to explain the behavior of massive objects, such as stars and planets, in the presence of gravity. The solution introduces the concept of a critical distance, known as the event horizon, where the gravitational pull becomes so strong that even light cannot escape. Proper distance, also known as the Schwarzschild radius, is a measure of the distance from the center of the mass to the event horizon. Understanding proper distance is crucial in understanding the effects of gravity on objects and the behavior of space and time near massive objects.
peter46464
I'm trying to understand the Schwarzschild solution concept of proper distance. Given the proper distance equation
[tex]
d\sigma=\frac{dr}{\left(1-\frac{R_{S}}{r}\right)^{1/2}}
[/tex]
how would I calculate the coordinate distance. For example - assuming the distance from the Earth to the Sun is 150,000,000km, is it a valid question to ask what the coordinate distance is, and how would I calculate it?

I know [itex]R_{S}[/itex] is about 3km.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
peter46464 said:
I'm trying to understand the Schwarzschild solution concept of proper distance. Given the proper distance equation
[tex]
d\sigma=\frac{dr}{\left(1-\frac{R_{S}}{r}\right)^{1/2}}
[/tex]
how would I calculate the coordinate distance. For example - assuming the distance from the Earth to the Sun is 150,000,000km, is it a valid question to ask what the coordinate distance is, and how would I calculate it?

I know [itex]R_{S}[/itex] is about 3km.

Many thanks

If you use Schwarzschild coordinates, then the radial coordinate distance is simply the difference in the radial coordinate "r" between two points: |rA-rB|

To get the radial proper distance you have to integrate your formula between rA and rB.

Thanks. For me, integrating that looks hard. Can I make any simplifying approximations?

peter46464 said:
Thanks. For me, integrating that looks hard. Can I make any simplifying approximations?

That general form of integral actually appears in standard tables of integrals, so you can find an exact antiderivative for it (you may have to modify the form of the integrand somewhat to fit it into a standard form). Try here for one such table:

http://integral-table.com/

Or, particularly if r is very large compared to R_s (which it certainly is in your case), you can expand the binomial in the denominator in a power series, as here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/alg3.html

You should only need the first couple of terms to see how things will go for the case of R_s / r very small.

It is very easy to solve it with a math program such as Mable, Mathematica or Matlab. But effectively R = rho as the Sun's mass is not large enough to be considered a strong field. You have to go many numbers behind the decimal point to find a discrepancy.

1. What is the Schwarzschild solution?

The Schwarzschild solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations in the theory of general relativity. It describes the gravitational field outside a spherical, non-rotating mass, such as a black hole.

2. How does the Schwarzschild solution affect distance?

The Schwarzschild solution predicts that distances near a massive object, such as a black hole, will be distorted due to the curvature of spacetime caused by the object's gravitational pull. This means that the proper distance (the distance as measured by an observer in the same frame of reference as the object) will be different from the coordinate distance (the distance as measured by an observer outside the object's frame of reference).

3. What is the proper distance in the Schwarzschild solution?

The proper distance is the distance between two points as measured by an observer who is in the same frame of reference as the objects being measured. In the Schwarzschild solution, the proper distance is affected by the gravitational field of the massive object, resulting in a distortion of distances near the object.

4. How is proper distance calculated in the Schwarzschild solution?

The proper distance can be calculated using the metric tensor in the Schwarzschild solution. This involves integrating the line element, which describes the distance between two points in spacetime, along the path connecting the two points. The resulting value will be the proper distance between the two points.

5. Why is understanding proper distance important in the Schwarzschild solution?

Understanding proper distance is important in the Schwarzschild solution because it helps us understand how the gravitational field of a massive object affects distances in spacetime. This is crucial in accurately predicting the behavior of objects near black holes and other massive objects, and in understanding the concept of spacetime curvature in general relativity.