Why does -m2 < nx < m1 imply an integer m with -m2 ≤ m ≤ m1 and m-1 ≤ nx < m?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dschumanji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Dschumanji
Messages
153
Reaction score
1
I understand the proof except for the following:

Suppose that -m2 < nx < m1 for positive integers m1, m2, n, and real number x.

Then there is an integer m with -m2 ≤ m ≤ m1 such that m-1 ≤ nx < m.

It definitely sounds reasonable, but it seems like a big jump in logic.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let m be the least integer that is strictly greater than nx. It is a triviality to verify that this integer has the desired properties.
 
Simple proof

Hi there,
I have attached a simple demonstration of the bit you are asking.
Let me know if it is clear now.
I hope it helps
 
Attachments