The Set of Positive Integers as a Copy of the Natural Numbers ....

In summary, Peter is seeking clarification on Theorem 1.3.7 from Ethan D. Bloch's book, The Real Numbers and Real Analysis. The theorem states that by Part (a) of the Peano Postulates, we know that p+1 ≠ 1. However, Peter is confused by this claim and is requesting an explanation of how this follows from the Peano Postulate. He also provides additional information including Bloch's definition of the integers and theorem on the algebraic properties of the integers. After receiving help from other members, it is clarified that the intended statement is p+1 ≠ 1, which is in line with the Peano Postulate. The conversation ends with Peter thanking the other members
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ethan D. Bloch's book: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1: Construction of the Real Numbers ...

I need help/clarification with an aspect of Theorem 1.3.7 ...

Theorem 1.3.7 and the start of the proof reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6994In the above proof we read the following:" ... ... By Part (a) of the Peano Postulates we know that \(\displaystyle p \ne 1\). ... ... " Can someone please explain exactly how the Peano Postulate (a) implies that \(\displaystyle p \ne 1\) ... ?
Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter
The above post mentions the Peano Postulates so I am providing Bloch's statement of these postulates for the natural numbers ... as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6995Readers of the above question may well be helped by access to Bloch's definition of the integers as well as Bloch's theorem on the algebraic properties of the integers ... so I am providing both as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6996

View attachment 6997

Physics news on Phys.org
I would agree that this claim $(p\not=1)$ is quite confusing, if not downright wrong. By definition of Bloch's function $i$, we have $i(1)=[(1+1,1)]=:\hat{1}$. Because $1\in\mathbb{N}$, $i(1)\in i(\mathbb{N})$. So it could be that $y=i(1)$. But then $y=[(1+1,1)]$, with $p=1$. There's no contradiction here that I can see. While Peano's axiom part (a) does assure us that $s(n)\not=1 \; \forall \, n\in\mathbb{N},$ it's not clear that Bloch is claiming $p$ to be the successor of something. If $p$ was the successor of something - that is, if $p=s(n)$ for some $n\in\mathbb{N}$ - then I would agree $p\not=1$.

Your image of Bloch's theorem on the algebraic properties of the integers is too small to be legible, I'm afraid. It would help if you could enlarge that.

I am inclined to suspect that what was intended was "By part (a) of the Peano Postulates we know that \(\displaystyle p+1\ne 1\)" since that is what the "part (a) of the Peano Postulates" says.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
I am inclined to suspect that what was intended was "By part (a) of the Peano Postulates we know that \(\displaystyle p+1\ne 1\)" since that is what the "part (a) of the Peano Postulates" says.

Thanks to Ackbach ana HallsofIvy for the help and support ...

Agree it should be p+1 is not equal to 1 ...

Thanks again,

Peter

1. What is the difference between the set of positive integers and natural numbers?

The set of positive integers includes all whole numbers greater than zero, while the natural numbers also include zero.

2. How is the set of positive integers used in mathematics?

The set of positive integers is used in a variety of mathematical concepts, such as counting, addition, multiplication, and division. It is also used in number theory and algebra.

3. Why is the set of positive integers considered a copy of the natural numbers?

The set of positive integers is considered a copy of the natural numbers because it contains all the same numbers as the natural numbers, but does not include zero.

4. Can negative numbers be included in the set of positive integers?

No, the set of positive integers only includes numbers greater than zero. Negative numbers are included in the set of integers.

5. How is the set of positive integers important in computer science?

The set of positive integers is important in computer science as it is used in algorithms, data structures, and programming languages to perform mathematical operations and represent quantities.