The Integers as an Ordered Integral Domain .... Bloch Theorem 1.4.6 ....

In summary, Theorem 1.4.6 is proved using the ordered integral domain approach where the Peano Postulates are axioms.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ethan D. Bloch's book: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis ...

I am currently focused on Section 1.4: Entry 2: Axioms for the Integers ... In this section Bloch defines the integers as an ordered integral domain that satisfies the Well Ordering Principle ... rather than defining the integers via the natural numbers ...

I need help/clarification with an aspect of Theorem 1.4.6 ...

Theorem 1.4.6 and the start of the proof reads as follows:View attachment 7030

In the above proof ... near the start of the proof, we read the following:

" ... ... From the definition of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\), we observe that \(\displaystyle S \subseteq \mathbb{N}\). ... ..."Question: What exactly is the reasoning that allows us to conclude that \(\displaystyle S \subseteq \mathbb{N}\) from the definition of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) ... "
The above theorem is in the section where Bloch defines the integers as an ordered integral domain that satisfies the Well ordering Principle... ... as follows:View attachment 7031The definition of the natural numbers is mentioned above ... Bloch's definition is as follows ...

View attachment 7032Hope someone can help,

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Ethan D. Bloch's book: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis ...

I am currently focused on Section 1.4: Entry 2: Axioms for the Integers ... In this section Bloch defines the integers as an ordered integral domain that satisfies the Well Ordering Principle ... rather than defining the integers via the natural numbers ...

I need help/clarification with an aspect of Theorem 1.4.6 ...

Theorem 1.4.6 and the start of the proof reads as follows:

In the above proof ... near the start of the proof, we read the following:

" ... ... From the definition of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\), we observe that \(\displaystyle S \subseteq \mathbb{N}\). ... ..."Question: What exactly is the reasoning that allows us to conclude that \(\displaystyle S \subseteq \mathbb{N}\) from the definition of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) ... "
The above theorem is in the section where Bloch defines the integers as an ordered integral domain that satisfies the Well ordering Principle... ... as follows:The definition of the natural numbers is mentioned above ... Bloch's definition is as follows ...

Hope someone can help,

Peter

Maybe I shouldn't answer my own questions ... but maybe I am worrying too much over a trivial point ... maybe the reasoning is simply ... as follows ... since \(\displaystyle S\) is a set made up of positive integers then it is a subset of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) ... is it as simple as that ..?if it is as simple as that then I apologise for the post ...Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
What exactly is the reasoning that allows us to conclude that \(\displaystyle S \subseteq \mathbb{N}\) from the definition of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\)
I don't think the claim $S\subseteq\mathbb{N}$ is necessary for the rest of the proof. We have $\emptyset\ne S\subseteq\{x\in\mathbb{Z}\mid x>0\}$, so $S$ has a least element by the well-ordering principle for $\mathbb{Z}$. Unless something is said about the identification of positive integers and natural numbers, as they are defined in the book, the fact that $S\subseteq\mathbb{N}$ does seem not immediately obvious.

Peter said:
Maybe I shouldn't answer my own questions
It's perfecty fine.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I don't think the claim $S\subseteq\mathbb{N}$ is necessary for the rest of the proof. We have $\emptyset\ne S\subseteq\{x\in\mathbb{Z}\mid x>0\}$, so $S$ has a least element by the well-ordering principle for $\mathbb{Z}$. Unless something is said about the identification of positive integers and natural numbers, as they are defined in the book, the fact that $S\subseteq\mathbb{N}$ does seem not immediately obvious.

It's perfecty fine.
Thanks Evgeny ...

Just to explain my confusion ...

... indeed my problem was how to derive \(\displaystyle S \subseteq \mathbb{N}\) ... but got confused (with Bloch's help ... :(
clear.png
...)

To explain ...

Bloch investigates two approaches to defining/constructing the integers as he describes here ... https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7034In Section 1.4, where Theorem 1.4.6 occurs, Bloch is expounding the ordered integral domain approach to the integers ... so we should not go back to the Peano Postulates as I did - that is Bloch's approach number 1 ... under the second approach, the ordered integral domain approach, the Peano Postulates/Axioms become a theorem and are proved ...

Actually when we meet \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) in the proof of Theorem 1.4.6 Bloch has not defined \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\) yet in this approach ... he does so after presenting Theorem 1.4.6 as follows:View attachment 7035
By the way, Evgeny, thanks for pointing out that the claim $S\subseteq\mathbb{N}$ is not necessary for the rest of the proof ... great point!

Thanks again,

Peter

If natural numbers are defined in this way in the second approach, then it is clear that $S=\{z\in\mathbb{Z}\mid 0<z<1\}\subseteq\{x\in\mathbb{Z}\mid x>0\}=\mathbb{N}$. Maybe the author wrote $S\subseteq\mathbb{N}$ in Theorem 1.4.6 in anticipation of this definition, but yes, this is strange.

1. What are integers?

Integers are a set of whole numbers that include positive numbers, negative numbers, and zero. They are represented by the symbol "ℤ".

2. What is an ordered integral domain?

An ordered integral domain is a mathematical structure that combines the properties of an integral domain (a set of numbers with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division operations) and an ordered set (a set with a defined order). This means that the integers have both algebraic properties and an order that allows them to be arranged from smallest to largest.

3. What is Bloch Theorem 1.4.6?

Bloch Theorem 1.4.6 is a theorem in abstract algebra that states that for any ordered integral domain, there exists a unique smallest positive element. This element is known as the multiplicative identity (1) and is used to define the order of the integers.

4. How is Bloch Theorem 1.4.6 related to the integers?

Bloch Theorem 1.4.6 is specifically related to the integers as an ordered integral domain because it helps define the order of the integers and their properties. Without this theorem, the integers would not have a clear and unique definition of the multiplicative identity and thus, the order of the numbers would not be well-defined.

5. What are some real-world applications of the ordered integral domain?

The ordered integral domain has many real-world applications, including in computer science, economics, and physics. In computer science, the concept of an ordered integral domain is used in data structures and algorithms. In economics, it is used in the study of market values and prices. In physics, it is used in the study of electric and magnetic fields. Essentially, any field that involves numbers and their relationships can benefit from the use of an ordered integral domain.