1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding schrodinger equation

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    Note : I am not sure this is the right section for posting it , but from the rules section i saw that this section can be used for homework related queries and independent study .

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Understanding schrodinger equation . i want to understand the solutions of this equation and how it works. I want to know what are the preliminaries for understanding it .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know about the general theories regarding atoms like Bohr model , Sommerfeld model , wave particle duality of light , de Broglie's relation , etc .

I know the basics of integration , differentiation , complex numbers , vectors , etc . Most of these topics are self-studied so i don't have mastery over them .

Please advise me as to what i should learn in order to be able to understand the schrodinger equation . I am in High school at present but since it is generally taught at college level , i decided to post it here .

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I don't think this is the right section really for your question. I think the quantum physics section would be the best. But I'll try to answer your question anyway.

I think complex numbers and differentiation are important for being able to 'get a feel' for the Schrodinger wave equation. Some of the most simple examples of the use of the Schrodinger equation are the 'particle in a box', plane waves, and step potential. These are the things I would start with first. The electron around a central potential is a little more complicated because it is in 3d, and there are concepts of angular momentum.

It would also be useful to learn a bit about damped simple harmonic oscillators (in the classical sense), because this is a really good way to see the usefulness of complex numbers. (Like how you can use a complex frequency to represent oscillation and a decay of amplitude).

P.S. Welcome to physicsforums! :)

4. Jul 2, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the answer . I guess i need to learn a little more than i currently know and i will be ready for that equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook