Understanding schrodinger equation

In summary, you need to learn about integrals, differentiation, oscillators, complex numbers, and the Schrodinger equation in order to be able to understand it.
LittleManiac
Note : I am not sure this is the right section for posting it , but from the rules section i saw that this section can be used for homework related queries and independent study .

Homework Statement

Understanding schrodinger equation . i want to understand the solutions of this equation and how it works. I want to know what are the preliminaries for understanding it .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know about the general theories regarding atoms like Bohr model , Sommerfeld model , wave particle duality of light , de Broglie's relation , etc .

I know the basics of integration , differentiation , complex numbers , vectors , etc . Most of these topics are self-studied so i don't have mastery over them .

Please advise me as to what i should learn in order to be able to understand the schrodinger equation . I am in High school at present but since it is generally taught at college level , i decided to post it here .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is the right section really for your question. I think the quantum physics section would be the best. But I'll try to answer your question anyway.

I think complex numbers and differentiation are important for being able to 'get a feel' for the Schrodinger wave equation. Some of the most simple examples of the use of the Schrodinger equation are the 'particle in a box', plane waves, and step potential. These are the things I would start with first. The electron around a central potential is a little more complicated because it is in 3d, and there are concepts of angular momentum.

It would also be useful to learn a bit about damped simple harmonic oscillators (in the classical sense), because this is a really good way to see the usefulness of complex numbers. (Like how you can use a complex frequency to represent oscillation and a decay of amplitude).

P.S. Welcome to physicsforums! :)

Thanks for the answer . I guess i need to learn a little more than i currently know and i will be ready for that equation

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the behavior of particles such as electrons and atoms.

2. Why is the Schrodinger equation important?

The Schrodinger equation is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles, such as their position and momentum, which has numerous applications in fields such as chemistry and material science.

3. How does the Schrodinger equation differ from other equations in physics?

Unlike classical physics equations, which can predict the exact position and momentum of particles, the Schrodinger equation gives us a probability distribution of where particles are likely to be found. This is because at the quantum level, particles behave like waves and do not have definite positions or momentums.

4. Can the Schrodinger equation be solved analytically?

Yes, the Schrodinger equation can be solved analytically for simple systems, such as a single particle in a box. However, for more complex systems, numerical methods are often used to approximate solutions.

5. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger equation is the mathematical expression of the uncertainty principle, which states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The Schrodinger equation allows us to calculate the probability of a particle's position and momentum, which is in line with the uncertainty principle.