• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Understanding schrodinger equation

Note : I am not sure this is the right section for posting it , but from the rules section i saw that this section can be used for homework related queries and independent study .

Homework Statement

Understanding schrodinger equation . i want to understand the solutions of this equation and how it works. I want to know what are the preliminaries for understanding it .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know about the general theories regarding atoms like Bohr model , Sommerfeld model , wave particle duality of light , de Broglie's relation , etc .

I know the basics of integration , differentiation , complex numbers , vectors , etc . Most of these topics are self-studied so i don't have mastery over them .

Please advise me as to what i should learn in order to be able to understand the schrodinger equation . I am in High school at present but since it is generally taught at college level , i decided to post it here .

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

BruceW
Homework Helper
I don't think this is the right section really for your question. I think the quantum physics section would be the best. But I'll try to answer your question anyway.

I think complex numbers and differentiation are important for being able to 'get a feel' for the Schrodinger wave equation. Some of the most simple examples of the use of the Schrodinger equation are the 'particle in a box', plane waves, and step potential. These are the things I would start with first. The electron around a central potential is a little more complicated because it is in 3d, and there are concepts of angular momentum.

It would also be useful to learn a bit about damped simple harmonic oscillators (in the classical sense), because this is a really good way to see the usefulness of complex numbers. (Like how you can use a complex frequency to represent oscillation and a decay of amplitude).

P.S. Welcome to physicsforums! :)

Thanks for the answer . I guess i need to learn a little more than i currently know and i will be ready for that equation