General solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
21joanna12
Messages
126
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


I'm trying to figure out how the general solution of the Schrödinger equation for a free particle when v=0 relates to anything I have learned in class...

Homework Equations


For Eψ=(hbar2/2m)d2ψ/dx2

The Attempt at a Solution


I really have no idea- what is confusing me is that ψ is a function rather than a constant so I don't know how to treat it...

Thank you all for any help!

And I really apologise for the equation... I don't really understand how to use LaTeX
 
Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:

Homework Statement


I'm trying to figure out how the general solution of the Schrödinger equation for a free particle when v=0 relates to anything I have learned in class...

Homework Equations


For [STRIKE]Eψ=(hbar2/2m)d2ψ/dx2
[/STRIKE]

You miss the negative the sign: ##-\hbar^2/(2m)d^2ψ/dx^2=Eψ##

That is a differential equation of form y"+kx=0. What is the solution?

The former equation is the time independent equation for one dimension. The time dependent equation is

##i\hbar \frac{\partial ψ}{\partial t}=-\hbar^2/(2m)\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}##

ehild
 
Last edited: