General solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle when v=0 and what has been learned in class. The equation for Eψ=(hbar2/2m)d2ψ/dx2 is mentioned, as well as the time dependent and independent equations for the problem. The conversation also touches on the solution to a differential equation y"+ky=0.
21joanna12

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out how the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle when v=0 relates to anything I have learned in class...

Homework Equations

For Eψ=(hbar2/2m)d2ψ/dx2

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea- what is confusing me is that ψ is a function rather than a constant so I don't know how to treat it...

Thank you all for any help!

And I really apologise for the equation... I don't really understand how to use LaTeX

Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out how the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle when v=0 relates to anything I have learned in class...

Homework Equations

For [STRIKE]Eψ=(hbar2/2m)d2ψ/dx2
[/STRIKE]

You miss the negative the sign: ##-\hbar^2/(2m)d^2ψ/dx^2=Eψ##

That is a differential equation of form y"+kx=0. What is the solution?

The former equation is the time independent equation for one dimension. The time dependent equation is

##i\hbar \frac{\partial ψ}{\partial t}=-\hbar^2/(2m)\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}##

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
That is a differential equation of form y"+kx=0.
y"+ky=0?

I meant it so. Thanks.

ehild

I can understand your confusion about the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle. It is a complex and abstract concept that may be difficult to grasp at first. However, it is an important concept in quantum mechanics and has many applications in understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

To provide some context, the Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is used to determine the probability of finding a particle at a particular location and time. In the equation, ψ represents the wave function of the particle, which is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of the particle. The term v represents the potential energy of the particle, which is zero for a free particle.

Now, to understand the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle, we can start by looking at the equation itself. As you have correctly stated, it is an eigenvalue equation where the energy of the particle (E) is related to the wave function (ψ) through the second derivative with respect to position (x).

The general solution for this equation is a wave function that takes the form of a plane wave, which has the form e^(ikx), where k is the wave vector. This means that the wave function of a free particle is a traveling wave, with a constant velocity (v) determined by the wave vector. This is why it is called a "free" particle since it is not confined or affected by any potential energy.

In terms of what you have learned in class, this solution may relate to other concepts such as wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the quantization of energy levels. It is also important to note that this is a simplified solution for a free particle and may not fully capture the behavior of more complex quantum systems.

I hope this explanation has helped to clarify the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle. Keep in mind that this is just one aspect of a vast and complex field, and there is always more to learn and understand. Keep exploring and asking questions, and you will continue to deepen your understanding of quantum mechanics.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation for a free particle?

The Schrodinger equation for a free particle is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a particle in a potential-free region. It is represented by the equation:

iħ∂Ψ/∂t = -(ħ^2/2m)∇^2Ψ
where i is the imaginary unit, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, t is time, m is the mass of the particle, and Ψ is the wave function of the particle.

2. What is a general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle?

The general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle is a mathematical expression that describes the time evolution of the wave function of a particle with a known initial condition. It is given by the equation:

Ψ(x,t) = Ae^(ikx – iωt)
where A is a constant, k is the wave number, x is the position of the particle, ω is the angular frequency, and t is time.

3. How is the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle derived?

The general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle is derived using the separation of variables technique. This involves separating the wave function into two parts, one depending on position and the other on time, and then solving each part separately. The final solution is obtained by combining the two solutions and taking into account the initial conditions of the particle.

4. What is the significance of the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle?

The general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior and properties of the particle at any given time. It also helps us understand the wave-like nature of particles and how they evolve over time. Additionally, the general solution can be used to solve more complex problems in quantum mechanics by serving as a building block for more complicated equations.

5. What are some applications of the general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle?

The general solution of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle has numerous applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and material science. It is used to describe the behavior of particles in potential-free regions, such as in the study of particle scattering and tunneling. Additionally, the solution is utilized in the development of quantum computing and in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials.