Understanding Stopping Distance for an Alfa Romeo

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Amel
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Amel
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Ok so I have this problem and it seems pretty simple but I am not getting what its trying to say.

According to Car and Driver, an Alfa Romeo going 70 mph requires 177 feet to stop. Assuming that the stopping distance is proportional to the square of the velocity, find the stopping distance required by an Alfa Romeo going at 35 mph and at 125 mph.

How do you set this up, do I have to find an equation of a parabola whith the point (70, 177) and then find the others using it? The way its worded I am not sure can anyone confirm this or clerify it better for me?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If two quantities are proportional to one other, then their quotient is a constant.
 
Ok what about this one,

Poiseuille's Law gives the rate of flow, R, of a gas through a cylindrical pipe in terms of the radius of the pipe, r, for a fixed drop in pressure between the two ends of the pipe.

If R = 430 cm3/s in a pipe of radius 2 cm for a certain gas, find a formula for the rate of flow of that gas through a pipe of radius r cm.