Understanding the Arctan Identity: Solving for Inverse Trigonometric Functions

• Thread starter ali PMPAINT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation tan(a)+tan(b)+tan(c)=tan(a)*tan(b)*tan(c) (where a+b+c=Pi) to solve a problem, and the suggestion to use the expressions for tan(a±b). The conversation also touches on the use of the symbol "Pi" and how to typeset equations. There is also a mention of a solution book and the explanation of a proof involving right triangles. The conversation ends with a clarification of the spelling of a word.
ali PMPAINT
Homework Statement
arctan(1)+arctan(2)+arctan(3)=Pi
Relevant Equations
I think tan(a)+tab(b)+tan(c)=tan(a)*tan(b)*tan(c)
So, I saw the answer but I couldn't understand it. But I think it can be solved by tan(a)+tab(b)+tan(c)=tan(a)*tan(b)*tan(c) (where a+b+c=Pi) , but I don't know how to transfer it to its inverse.
Capture.png

The answer:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ali, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !
ali PMPAINT said:
I think it can be solved by ##\tan a +\tan b + \tan c =\tan a * \tan b * \tan c ## (where ## a+b+c=\pi ##)
Thanks for that equation -- I didn't know about it.
But: wouldn't it be easier to use some other equations, e.g. the expressions for ##\ \tan (a\pm b) ## ?

Likes ali PMPAINT
BvU said:
Hello ali, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !
Thanks
But: wouldn't it be easier to use some other equations, e.g. the expressions for ##\ \tan (a\pm b) ## ?
[/QUOTE]
I think it would, but I don't know how to use these expressions for arctan.
And if you understood the solution book mentioned, could you explain it to me?
and how did you use "Pi" symbol?

[/QUOTE]
Akshely(Sorry for my English, I don't know how to spell it correctly), yes! Thanks for your advice. for anyone interested for the proof:

Likes BvU
ali PMPAINT said:
how did you use "Pi" symbol?
I type ## \pi ## and get ##\pi##

How to typeset equations is described in this tutorial (from point 7 in the
guidelines)

ali PMPAINT said:
solution book mentioned
On the lower right you see a triangle with a top left angle a that has tangent 1.

On top of that angle is a triangle with a lower left angle b that has tangent 2.
And c has tangent 3.

ali PMPAINT said:
spell it correctly
that would be: actually

• Informative
Likes ali PMPAINT
BvU said:
I type ## \pi ## and get ##\pi##
On the lower right you see a triangle with a top left angle a that has tangent 1.
View attachment 242925
On top of that angle is a triangle with a lower left angle b that has tangent 2.
And c has tangent 3.

that would be: actually
Oh! Now I got it! Thank you very much!

arctan.jpg

From the right triangles ABC, CBD, CDE, and AFE, the length of AE is the same as the length of AC + length of CE, so the line ACE is a straight line, the angle C is 180°.

Likes ali PMPAINT and YoungPhysicist

What is an arctan identity?

An arctan identity is a mathematical statement that relates the inverse tangent function (arctan) to other trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

Why is it important to prove an arctan identity?

Proving an arctan identity is important because it helps to establish the validity of the mathematical relationship and can be used to solve complex trigonometric equations and problems.

What are the steps involved in proving an arctan identity?

The steps involved in proving an arctan identity may vary depending on the specific identity being proven, but generally involve using algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression and show that both sides are equal.

What are some common arctan identities?

Some common arctan identities include the double angle identity (arctan 2x = 2arctan x / 1 - x^2), the sum and difference identities (arctan (x + y) = (arctan x + arctan y) / 1 - xy and arctan (x - y) = (arctan x - arctan y) / 1 + xy), and the half angle identity (arctan (x/2) = 1/2 arctan (2x / 1 - x^2)).

What are some tips for proving an arctan identity?

Some tips for proving an arctan identity include carefully examining the given expression and identifying any trigonometric identities that can be applied, using algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression, and being patient and persistent in the process.