Understanding the reasoning behind the mole

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter needingtoknow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mole
In summary: Antimony (Sb) does also. In each case it combines in a very specific proportion. For example 1 part of Al combines with 1.5 parts of Cl, or with 3 parts of oxygen. Now it's no good saying 1.5 parts of Cl if you don't say how much that is - but if you say that 1 part of Cl is 35.5 times as heavy as 1 part of H, then you can say 1.5 parts of Cl is 1.5x35.5 times as heavy as 1 part of H. If you do this for all the elements you can - and it's not
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

My book says that if the ratio of the masses of the samples is the same as the ratio of the masses of the components then the two samples contain the same number of components. That part makes sense. But how do we know that the same number of components has to be 6.02 x 10^23?

Let's compare natural aluminium (average mass of 12.01 amu) and natural antimony (average mass of 26.98 amu). The overall sample mass of each is 12.01 g and 26.98 g so because the ratio of the sample masses (26.98 g/12.01 g) is equal to the ratio of the masses of the components involved (26.98 amu/12.01 amu) they have the same number of components. Now what is the next step to determining the number of components involved? (I know the rule states that it's 6.02 x 10^23, but I want to know the reasoning behind why)

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

My book says that if the ratio of the masses of the samples is the same as the ratio of the masses of the components then the two samples contain the same number of components. That part makes sense. But how do we know that the same number of components has to be 6.02 x 10^23?

Let's compare natural aluminium (average mass of 12.01 amu) and natural antimony (average mass of 26.98 amu). The overall sample mass of each is 12.01 g and 26.98 g so because the ratio of the sample masses (26.98 g/12.01 g) is equal to the ratio of the masses of the components involved (26.98 amu/12.01 amu) they have the same number of components. Now what is the next step to determining the number of components involved? (I know the rule states that it's 6.02 x 10^23, but I want to know the reasoning behind why)

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, no one can answer your question, we can't know what it is, you haven't formulated anything understandable. You talk vaguely of "the sample" and we don't know what it is and what facts are given about it. You give a figure of 26.98 related to antimony - that figure happens to be the atomic mass of aluminium so I think you have several confusions.

The first accurate measurement was by measuring the electric charge of one mole of electrons, divided by the charge on one electron. Later measurement were done by comparing the mass of one electron and a mole of electrons, or by finding the number of atoms in 1kg of a single isotope of silicon.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avogadro_constant#Measurement

All right epenguin I'll address what you said first. So in my scenario there are two samples of two different elements. One sample is of aluminium and the other sample is of americium. The reason why the numbers are wrong is because I changed the elements at the last moment and forgot to change the amu for them as well. Now that this is clarified I'll just rewrite the paragraph with the correct masses. Sorry for the confusion.

Let's compare natural aluminium (aluminium atoms have an average mass of 26.98 amu) and natural antimony (antimony atoms have an average mass of 121.8 amu). There are two samples, one of each element. The mass of the first sample (aluminium) is 26.8 g and the mass of the second sample (antimony) is 121.8 g. Because the ratio of the sample masses (26.98 g/121.8 g) is equal to the ratio of the masses of the components (atoms) involved (26.98 amu/121.8 amu) theoretically they should have the same number of components (atoms). Now what is the next step to determining the number of components involved? (I know the rule states that it's 6.02 x 10^23, but I want to know the reasoning behind why)

Addressing phyzguy and AlphaZero,

I know that it is something that is determined experimentally but what is the explanation for why 26.98 g of aluminium has exactly 1 mol of aluminium atoms, just because we determined it experimentally?

Thank you all once again

needingtoknow said:
what is the explanation for why 26.98 g of aluminium has exactly 1 mol of aluminium atoms

That's because we defined it in such a way.

We defined mole to be "the amount of any substance that contains as many elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are atoms in 12 grams of pure carbon-12". This definition means we can - knowing mass of C-12 atom - calculate the number of these entities. It happens to be 6.02x1023. It simply follows from the definition.

You may ask why it is that mass of C-12 is exactly 12 - well, that's again because we defined it this way. a.m.u. could have any value (in terms of how many grams is an a.m.u.), but we selected value that makes calculations easy.

needingtoknow said:
Let's compare natural aluminium (aluminium atoms have an average mass of 26.98 amu) and natural antimony (antimony atoms have an average mass of 121.8 amu). There are two samples, one of each element. The mass of the first sample (aluminium) is 26.8 g and the mass of the second sample (antimony) is 121.8 g. Because the ratio of the sample masses (26.98 g/121.8 g) is equal to the ratio of the masses of the components (atoms) involved (26.98 amu/121.8 amu) theoretically they should have the same number of components (atoms). Now what is the next step to determining the number of components involved? (I know the rule states that it's 6.02 x 10^23, but I want to know the reasoning behind why)

Yes that's right now. Those two samples contain the same number of atoms, one of aluminium, the other of antimony. The way this was known originally had nothing to do with this 6.02 x 10^23 not known till a lot later - rather it was the chemical combining weight. Aluminium (Al) combines with oxygen ("forms an oxide") and does also with antimony (Sb) and the of Al combines with the same amount (grams) of oxygen as does 121.8 g of Sb. And then the same combining ratios will be found in other compounds e.g. Aluminium sulphate bowever much sulphate (SO4) is combined with 26.98 g Al, the same amount of sulfate is combined with 121.8 g of Sb. And these non-trivial and experimentally found consistencies of ratios are very naturally explained by simple atomic theory.

The actual amount of oxygen in aluminium oxide can be calculated from the molecular formula Al2O3 and the atomic masses so 26.98 X 2 g Al combines with 16 X 3 g O and so does 121.8 g of Sb.
Etc. for other compounds.

So traditional chemistry, and most chemical laboratory calculations today, are about chemical combining ratios. They would be exactly the same calculations with the same exact numbers if the absolute masses of the atoms or the Avogadro number were a thousand or a million times bigger or smaller.

About the Avogadro number I haven't time this morning but others have said it, I want to come back later too.

Thank you all for your answers, a combination of Borek's and ePenguin's answer really cleared my confusion.

1. What is the mole and why is it important in chemistry?

The mole is a unit used in chemistry to measure the amount of a substance. It is important because it allows chemists to make precise measurements and comparisons between different substances.

2. How is the mole related to Avogadro's number?

The mole is defined as the number of particles (atoms, molecules, ions) in 12 grams of carbon-12. This number, known as Avogadro's number, has a value of 6.022 x 10^23 and is used to convert between moles and particles.

3. What is the difference between molar mass and atomic mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, expressed in grams per mole. It is calculated by adding up the atomic masses of all the atoms in a molecule. Atomic mass, on the other hand, is the mass of a single atom of an element, expressed in atomic mass units (amu).

4. How does the mole concept help in chemical reactions?

The mole concept allows us to determine the amount of reactants needed and the amount of products formed in a chemical reaction. It also helps in calculating the limiting reagent and percent yield of a reaction.

5. What is the difference between empirical and molecular formulas?

Empirical formulas show the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound, while molecular formulas show the actual number of each element present in a molecule. For example, the empirical formula for water is H2O, while the molecular formula is also H2O.