Why do MHz and kHz tuning show the same frequency on shortwave radio?

  • Thread starter Thread starter biferi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
biferi
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
I have a Shortwave Radio that tunes in on Kilo Herts.

So my display says
1015 kHz

Now if I want to write this out I would write
101,500,000 Hz

Now if I am on a Radio that tunes in on MHz and the display says
101.5 MHz

Now if I want to write this out I would write
101,500,000 Hz

Now this is what I do not understand they are both the same FREQ but I do not get how you tune them in on MHz and kHz?

I know MHz meens it will tune in at 1,000,000 Hz and if you tune in at Kilo Hz it will be 1,000 Hz

I hope I am asking in the right way if not please tell me?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
biferi said:
I have a Shortwave Radio that tunes in on Kilo Herts.

So my display says
1015 kHz

Now if I want to write this out I would write
101,500,000 Hz
I'd write 1015 kHz as 1,015,000 Hz
 
biferi said:
So my display says
1015 kHz

Now if I want to write this out I would write
101,500,000 Hz

You're losing track of decimal places, the 'k' in kHz moves the decimal point 3 digits to the right of a number to go to just Hz. Therefore 1015. kHz = 1015000. Hz = 1,015,000 Hz.

Likewise, converting to MHz from kHz is as simple as moving the decimal point 3 digits to the left, so 1015. kHz = 1.015 MHz.
 
Ok so if I see a readout of
1015. kHz
I would say
1015,000. Hz

And if I see a readout of
1.015 MHz
I would say
1,015,000,000 Hz

Do I have it?
 
Not exactly... MHz is 10^6, so 1.015 MHz is 1,015,000 Hz. You might be just better off quoting all the frequencies as MHz or kHz though.