Writing out MHz Band and the kHz Band?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
biferi
Messages
191
Reaction score
0
I need some help with FREQ. on the MHz Band and the kHz Band?

If I am on a Radio that displays the FREQ
909.5 MHz
I know I would write this out as
909,500,000 Hz
and this is
9 Hundred and 9 Thousand 5 Million Herts

Am I right?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
as far as i know typical fm is in MHZ ( 87 - 105 or something don't know exactly). So, 909.5Mhz on radio seems wrong. are you sure its not 90.9 Mhz. AM works in hundreds kilo hertz range

in any case: 909.5Mhz => 909.5 x 10^6
Mega: 10^6 kilo: 10^3

hope this helps,
utkarsh
 
OK let me ask this way.

An FM station of
NJ 101.5 FM I have it on every Day.

So would I write it out as 1,015,000 Hz
 
biferi said:
I need some help with FREQ. on the MHz Band and the kHz Band?

If I am on a Radio that displays the FREQ
909.5 MHz
I know I would write this out as
909,500,000 Hz
and this is
9 Hundred and 9 Thousand 5 Million Herts

Am I right?

No that is not how to write it, it should be 9 hundred and 9 million, 5 hundred thousand.

In any achemic situation it would always be better to use the MHz notation. Just to avoid the errors in your verbal effort.

yes 101,500,000Hz is a correct expression of 101.5MHz but why bother?
 
OK I undersstand now.

Now I am on a Shortwave Radio and the display says
6050 kHz
now my Radio shows no Point because this is showing me in kHz I get this.

But would I be right that they are not showing me the Point just to make it easy for the user but if we write it out we will write
6050,000 kHz,
 
biferi said:
OK I undersstand now.

Now I am on a Shortwave Radio and the display says
6050 kHz
now my Radio shows no Point because this is showing me in kHz I get this.

But would I be right that they are not showing me the Point just to make it easy for the user but if we write it out we will write
6050,000 kHz,

No. It would be 6,050,000 Hertz. NOT KHz.
 
biferi, May I suggest that you study "SI units" (International System of Units), also known as “metric prefixes”? The metric measurements are all in decimal form, and are used very consistently from one parameter to another. (Parameters are things that you measure, such as: length, mass, charge, density, heat, temperature, frequency, etc.) I recommend you memorize them and avoid confusion forever afterwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix