Understanding the strain energy function invariant term

In summary: Yes, N_i is a unit vector, a vector whose magnitude is 1. But, it is a vector, not a constant, so it's direction can vary. It says:where N_i are the components of the unit vector aligned along the local muscle fiber direction.
fruitkiwi
Hi, Dear all,

Facing problem to understand strain energy function invariant terms
A typical strain energy function consist of strain invariant can be defined as followed
W(I1,I4)=C0+C1(I1-3)(I4-1)+C2(I1-3)^2+C3(I1-4)^2+C4(I1-3)+C5(I4-1),
I1 and I4 are so called invariants of Green's strain tensor. (large deformation)
I1=trC=λ1^2+λ2^2+λ3^2
I4=N1*λ1^2*N1+N2*λ2^2*N2+N3*λ3^2*N3.

here is the complete link taken http://www.engin.umich.edu/class/bme456/ch6fitelasticmodelconstant/bme456fitmodel.htm

1. I read from article that N is a unit vector along the stretch direction, so can i conclude that
I4 consist of unit vector multiply with principal stretch?

2. the lamda in the formula is stretch ratio or principal stretch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After giving it a quick read,

2)[itex]\lambda_1 ,\lambda_2 ,\lambda_3[/itex] are the "normal stretch", where the link calls them that. but I think they are just the stretch coefficients for force in the same direction as the normal plane vector.

1) Yes, It seems so then, assuming you have "principle"[itex]\iff[/itex]"normal"

That's my take on it.

jfy4 said:
After giving it a quick read,

2)[itex]\lambda_1 ,\lambda_2 ,\lambda_3[/itex] are the "normal stretch", where the link calls them that. but I think they are just the stretch coefficients for force in the same direction as the normal plane vector.

1) Yes, It seems so then, assuming you have "principle"[itex]\iff[/itex]"normal"

That's my take on it.

Hi, jfy4,

I actually try to read more, but cannot find resources.
1. so all the N1, N2, N3,should always equal to 1? or under any condition they will change?
2. or can I call them as right stretch tensor?sorry, as i cannot differentiate left and right stretch tensor, so cannot evaluate more for you.

well, [itex]N_i[/itex] is a unit vector, a vector whose magnitude is 1. That is [itex]N_i N_i=N_{1}^{2}+N_{2}^{2}+N_{3}^{2}=1[/itex]. But, it is a vector, not a constant, so it's direction can vary. It says:
where [itex]N_i[/itex] are the components of the unit vector aligned along the local muscle fiber direction.

3. The strain energy function is a mathematical representation of the energy stored in a material due to deformation. In this case, the strain energy function is defined by the invariants of Green's strain tensor, which are mathematical quantities that describe the deformation of a material.

4. The first invariant, I1, is the trace of the Green's strain tensor and represents the total amount of deformation in a material. It is calculated by taking the sum of the squares of the principal stretches (λ1, λ2, λ3).

5. The second invariant, I4, is a combination of the principal stretches (λ1, λ2, λ3) and a unit vector (N1, N2, N3) that represents the direction of the stretch. It is used to account for the anisotropic properties of a material, where the material's response to deformation is dependent on the direction of the applied stress.

6. The values of the coefficients (C0, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5) in the strain energy function are determined experimentally and can vary depending on the material being studied.

7. To answer your questions, yes, I4 does consist of the unit vector multiplied by the principal stretches. And the lambda in the formula represents the principal stretches, not the stretch ratio.

Overall, understanding the strain energy function and its invariant terms is important in predicting the behavior of materials under different loading conditions. I recommend further reading and studying on this topic to gain a better understanding.

1. What is the strain energy function invariant term?

The strain energy function invariant term is a mathematical expression used in the study of materials and their deformation. It is a function of the strain tensor, which describes the change in shape and size of a material when subjected to external forces. The strain energy function invariant term is a measure of the energy stored in a material due to its deformation.

2. How is the strain energy function invariant term calculated?

The strain energy function invariant term is calculated by taking the determinant of the strain tensor and raising it to a certain power. The power is determined by the specific strain energy function being used, which is based on the material properties and type of deformation being studied. The resulting value represents the amount of energy stored in the material due to deformation.

3. What is the significance of the strain energy function invariant term?

The strain energy function invariant term is significant because it provides insight into the mechanical behavior of materials. By studying the strain energy function invariant term, scientists and engineers can better understand how different materials respond to external forces and how they deform under different conditions. This knowledge is crucial in designing and developing new materials for various applications.

4. How does the strain energy function invariant term relate to material properties?

The strain energy function invariant term is directly related to material properties such as stiffness, strength, and ductility. These properties influence the value of the strain energy function invariant term, as different materials will store and release different amounts of energy when subjected to the same external forces. By studying the relationship between the strain energy function invariant term and material properties, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of how materials behave under stress.

5. Can the strain energy function invariant term be used to predict material behavior?

Yes, the strain energy function invariant term can be used to predict material behavior in certain cases. By analyzing the strain energy function invariant term, scientists can make predictions about how a material will deform under different loads and conditions. However, it is important to note that the strain energy function invariant term is just one factor in determining material behavior and other factors, such as microstructure and temperature, must also be considered.