Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unfounded belief in God

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    I've been debating (In a pub, where all of life's problems are solved) with a friend of mine, who's planning on becoming a priest after he finishes university, on his justification for believing in a god. He admitted that he had no proof for the existence of a god that isn't anecdotal, but that since we can't know anything absolutely for certain other than that thoughts exist, my belief in the existence of a universe is just as unfounded as his belief in a god, that they were both equally valid theories.

I'm a mere Mathematics student, so I'm not that well versed in philosophical arguments and I was unable to counter him, but something about his point dosn't sit right with me. I was wondering if any of you had counter arguments, or wether his point was valid.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am almost certain this violates guidelines.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

As Dave has already mentioned this thread doesn't fit the guidelines, nor does it fit the rules for posting in philosophy which are posted at the top of the philosophy forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook