Unhappy with job, seeking advice

• Thread starter cjv998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: You are lucky to have one. But, that being said, you want more. It sounds like you have a few options:1. Keep looking for a different job on base.2. Move, and get a job in private industry.3. Move, and go back to school for an MS, with the hope of making yourself more appealing to a major lab.4. Maybe get a job with just a BS at a major lab? (Can this be done?)In summary, you are looking for a different job and a different living situation. You have considered going back to school for a Master's degree to make yourself more appealing to a major lab, but are worried about the potential for more debt.
cjv998
Hi everyone. Here's a little background on me: I'm 24, got my BS in physics in '08 from Univ. of MO-Rolla, and moved to CA for a job right after graduating. Working for the DoD on a military base, currently testing some software. :(

I'm unhappy with my job, and I don't like where I live (middle of the desert, 90 minutes from any real civilization). I've been trying to find a different job on base with no luck (funding is an issue). If I enjoyed my job more, it would make living here more tolerable. (Also, the dating scene in town is pretty non-existant, which gets depressing.) My current job is really low-visibility, and I don't feel like I'm actually working on anything worthwhile - I don't get any satisfaction out of my work.

Ideally, I'd like to be working in a "real" lab - setting up equipment, running experiments, and collecting and analyzing the data. I'm definitely more interested in the experimental side of things.

And I'd rather live somewhere with more greenery (I miss trees!), and that's a bit closer to shopping and entertainment. (That being said, I don't think I'd like living in a huge city.) Moving closer to MO would be nice too, because I could visit family more often than once a year.

I'm just not sure how to get from where I am, to where I want to be. I think I'd like working at a DoE lab, but it seems like they pretty much require at least a Master's (maybe I'm missing something?). And I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for a job in private industry.

I've considered going back to school for my MS so I'd be more appealing to a major lab. But what if after the 2-yr program, I can't find a job with one of them? Then I'm back where I started, except with more debt from student loans.

So to summarize, I don't like my job or where I live. I've tried finding a different job at my current workplace, to no avail. It seems like I have the following options:

1. Keep looking for a different job on base.
2. Move, and get a job in private industry.
3. Move, and go back to school for an MS, with the hope of making myself more appealing to a major lab.
4. Maybe get a job with just a BS at a major lab? (Can this be done?)

Thanks for the advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
You sound very much like myself at that age. I actually took a M.Sc. I did it part time in the evenings for 3yrs. I funded it by teaching in the day time which was heavy going. Sadly I never got the kind of job I wanted but ended up in I.T. Looking back I should have made more of my job at the time - I could have made a real contribution, taken a project and made it fly. Still it's never too late. I hope this helps- good luck!

cjv998 said:
Hi everyone. Here's a little background on me: I'm 24, got my BS in physics in '08 from Univ. of MO-Rolla, and moved to CA for a job right after graduating. Working for the DoD on a military base, currently testing some software. :(

I'm unhappy with my job, and I don't like where I live (middle of the desert, 90 minutes from any real civilization). I've been trying to find a different job on base with no luck (funding is an issue). If I enjoyed my job more, it would make living here more tolerable. (Also, the dating scene in town is pretty non-existant, which gets depressing.) My current job is really low-visibility, and I don't feel like I'm actually working on anything worthwhile - I don't get any satisfaction out of my work.

Ideally, I'd like to be working in a "real" lab - setting up equipment, running experiments, and collecting and analyzing the data. I'm definitely more interested in the experimental side of things.

And I'd rather live somewhere with more greenery (I miss trees!), and that's a bit closer to shopping and entertainment. (That being said, I don't think I'd like living in a huge city.) Moving closer to MO would be nice too, because I could visit family more often than once a year.

I'm just not sure how to get from where I am, to where I want to be. I think I'd like working at a DoE lab, but it seems like they pretty much require at least a Master's (maybe I'm missing something?). And I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for a job in private industry.

I've considered going back to school for my MS so I'd be more appealing to a major lab. But what if after the 2-yr program, I can't find a job with one of them? Then I'm back where I started, except with more debt from student loans.

So to summarize, I don't like my job or where I live. I've tried finding a different job at my current workplace, to no avail. It seems like I have the following options:

3. Move, and go back to school for an MS, with the hope of making myself more appealing to a major lab.

Thanks for the advice!

cjv998 said:

First of all, although you are unhappy with your job remember you are in a good (better) situation - you can afford to keep looking for work as long as you need to since you're already able to pay the bills. This means you can take your time to look at all of the options, and go through application processes - that, and you're building up work experience every day you finish.

As far as options go, have you considered speaking to your supervisor in a review about how you feel? It's OK to let them know you aren't enjoying things as much as you'd hoped (after all, it isn't the organisation you have a problem with, it's your specific role), and ask if they can keep you in the loop about any possible transfers to other facilities.

For jobs in private industry, there are lots of options. Job hunting websites are the obvious one, newspapers, employment faires (that might be designed for undergraduates - but head along and speak to one of the recruiters if you want to get some quick info that isn't around on the website), the company websites themselves. Also, a massive (and massively underestimated) option for finding jobs in industry is to go to the employers directly. I don't mean the websites (of course, do that as well) - but sending in a speculative CV. Many employers either don't get around to organising for the advertising of new positions, or just don't because it's expensive and potentially lengthy. Sending in a speculative CV is a great way to find out about potential jobs. You have a degree and a bit of experience now, big that up.

When looking at the companies directly, maybe start off with some list of the best employers - work your way through that for locations that you would be happy with, send off a CV and covering letter and wait. Look at small companies as well, ones that might not have big, fancy websites - you can find these in directories, or even the phone book. I have had many friends over the years that got their jobs in similar ways, and even 'convinced' their new employer to hire them over someone from another discipline - e.g. they were going to advertise for a mechanical engineer, but realized a physicist could do the job as well, and when they get a CV that seems pretty good, why bother spending more time on it?

If you go through these routes, and find you're having no luck, then perhaps it will be time to consider jobs that ask for an Msc as a requirement, which of course means going back to school. Make sure that it is needed, though, since it's a big commitment.

Thanks for the replies! I'll think over this some more, you've both made some good points.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling unhappy with your job and current living situation. It's understandable that this can be a difficult and frustrating situation to be in. It sounds like you have already explored some options for finding a new job, but have not had much success due to funding limitations and location constraints.

One option you may want to consider is networking and reaching out to contacts in the industry. This could include former professors, classmates, or colleagues who may have connections or knowledge about job opportunities that may be a better fit for you. Additionally, attending conferences or events related to your field can also provide opportunities for networking and potentially finding job openings.

In terms of going back to school for a Master's degree, it's important to carefully consider the potential benefits and drawbacks. While it may make you more appealing to certain employers, it also comes with the risk of accumulating more debt and not guaranteeing a job in your desired field. It may be helpful to do some research on the job market for individuals with a Master's degree in your field and what the job prospects are like.

Another option to consider is expanding your job search beyond just the DoE labs. There are many private companies and other government agencies that may have positions that align with your interests and skills. It may also be worth considering relocating to a different location that offers more opportunities and a better quality of life for you.

Overall, it's important to carefully consider all of your options and make a decision that aligns with your personal and professional goals. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a career counselor or mentor who can provide guidance and support in navigating this challenging situation. Best of luck to you in finding a job that brings you satisfaction and fulfillment.

1. What are some signs that I may be unhappy with my job?

Some common signs that you may be unhappy with your job include feeling constantly stressed, unfulfilled, or bored at work. You may also experience physical symptoms such as headaches or stomachaches, have difficulty sleeping, or feel a lack of motivation.

2. How can I determine if my job is the source of my unhappiness?

A good way to determine if your job is the source of your unhappiness is to reflect on your feelings and experiences at work. Ask yourself if you feel fulfilled and satisfied with your tasks and responsibilities, or if there are particular aspects of your job that make you unhappy. It may also be helpful to talk to trusted friends or family members about your job and how it makes you feel.

3. Should I quit my job if I am unhappy?

The decision to quit a job should not be taken lightly. It is important to consider the potential impact on your financial stability and future job prospects. If you are unhappy with your job, it may be helpful to first try addressing the issues with your employer or seeking advice from a career counselor. However, if the situation does not improve and your mental and emotional well-being is at stake, it may be necessary to consider leaving your job.

4. How can I find a job that makes me happy?

Finding a job that makes you happy may involve some self-reflection and research. Think about your interests, skills, and values, and consider what type of job or industry aligns with them. You can also utilize job search engines and networking platforms to explore different job opportunities and connect with professionals in your desired field.

5. Is it worth taking a pay cut for a job that makes me happy?

The answer to this question will vary for each individual. Some people may prioritize job satisfaction over salary, while others may prioritize financial stability. It is important to weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks of taking a pay cut, such as the potential for career growth and personal fulfillment versus the impact on your finances. Consider seeking advice from a financial advisor or mentor to help make an informed decision.