Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unicode (UTF-8) for overlined characters

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    Hello, I have been trying to find the unicode (UTF-8) character codes for overlined upper case letters (V,L,C,M) for use in Roman numerals with the 1000-multiplier. It is basically the same letter with a bar on top of the letter.
    I also need the overlined decimal digits to display recurring decimals. I must have missed something, because theses characters appear quite basic to me.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2
    This may not help you, but in the tex environment, you can define overbars for any characters using the \bar{} markup.

Code (Text):

\bar{V} ~ \bar{L} ~ \bar{C} ~ \bar{M} ~ \bar{0} ~ \bar{1} \ldots \bar{9}

[tex]
    \bar{V} ~ \bar{L} ~ \bar{C} ~ \bar{M} ~ \bar{0} ~ \bar{1} \ldots \bar{9}
    [/tex]

If you're just looking for a way to markup characters in this forum, this method can be quite handy.

[tex]\bar{v} = \frac{x_2 - x_1}{t_2 - t_1}[/tex]

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overline
    u+305 is the combining overline, type it after a character
    0̅1̅2̅3̅4̅5̅6̅7̅8̅9̅
    V̅L̅C̅M̅

5. Jul 15, 2009 #4
    In fact, the tex code is very useful for me too, as I need to write that as one of my steps!
    Thank you both of you for the prompt response.

6. Jul 15, 2009 #5
    I'm glad to know it can help. I find the tex markup here to be quite useful and wish other forums supported it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook