Uniform Convergence of Sequences

In summary, for sequence (fn), the function f can be found for both a and b. The convergence for a is not uniform because the limit function is 1 if x=1 and 0 if x?1. For b, the limit function is 0 if x=0 and 1/2 if x=1. The theorem that relates continuous functions and uniform convergence states that if the functions are continuous and the sequences converge, then there is uniform convergence. It is uncertain whether the sequences in this problem converge uniformly or not.
LauraLovies

Homework Statement

For each of the following sequences (fn), find the function f such that fn --> f. Also state whether the convergence is uniform or not and give a reason for your answer.

Homework Equations

a.) fn(x) = 1/xn for x greater than or equal to 1
b.) fn(x) = x/(1+xn) for x element of [0,1]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I think the limit function is 1 if x=1 and 0 if x?1. I also think it does not converge uniformly but do not know why.

b. I think the limit function is 0 if x=0 and 1/2 if x=1. I think it does not converge uniformly.

Physics news on Phys.org
What theorem do you know which relates continuous functions and uniform convergence?

LCKurtz said:
What theorem do you know which relates continuous functions and uniform convergence?

Are you talking about something Cauchy?

LCKurtz said:

LauraLovies said:
Are you talking about something Cauchy?

I'm trying to get you to look in your text and find the theorem that is relevant to your problem and is undoubtedly in your text. What theorem(s) do you find?

LCKurtz said:
I'm trying to get you to look in your text and find the theorem that is relevant to your problem and is undoubtedly in your text. What theorem(s) do you find?

There is a theorem that states that if the functions are continuous and the sequences converge then there is uniform convergence. I just have no idea if the sequences converge uniformly or not.

LauraLovies said:
There is a theorem that states that if the functions are continuous and the sequences converge then there is uniform convergence. I just have no idea if the sequences converge uniformly or not.

Perhaps you should look that theorem up and see what it states exactly.

1. What is uniform convergence of sequences?

Uniform convergence of sequences is a mathematical concept that describes how a sequence of functions approaches a limiting function. It states that for any small value of epsilon, there exists a point in the sequence beyond which all the functions are within epsilon distance from the limiting function.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Uniform convergence differs from pointwise convergence in the sense that for uniform convergence, the entire sequence of functions must approach the limiting function uniformly, whereas for pointwise convergence, each individual function approaches the limiting function at different rates.

3. What is the importance of uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is important in analysis and other areas of mathematics because it allows us to prove properties of the limiting function that may not be true for individual functions in the sequence. It also allows us to interchange the limit and integral operations, which is a useful tool in many applications.

4. How do you test for uniform convergence?

There are several tests for uniform convergence, including the Weierstrass M-test, the Cauchy criterion, and the Dini's theorem. These tests involve checking the behavior of the functions in the sequence and their derivatives to determine if they approach the limiting function uniformly.

5. Can a sequence of discontinuous functions converge uniformly?

Yes, a sequence of discontinuous functions can converge uniformly. The key factor is that the functions must approach the limiting function uniformly, regardless of their individual continuity. As long as the functions satisfy the definition of uniform convergence, they can converge uniformly, even if they are discontinuous.