Uniform Probability Density Function

In summary, the probability of something happening (in this case, the ball being inside the cube) is the volume of the sphere divided by the volume of the cube.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Suppose that a point [tex](X_1 , X_2 , X_3)[/tex] is chosen at random, that is, in accordance with the uniform probability function over the following set S:

[tex]S = {(x_1, x_2, x_3) : 0 \leq x_i \leq 1 for i =1,2,3}[/tex]

Determine [tex]P[(X_1 - 1/2)^2 + (X_2 - 1/2)^2 + (X_3 - 1/2)^2) \leq 1/4] [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to set this up. Any suggestions/hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cse63149

the allowable variable space defines a cube... I'd try thinking about volume and how you could relate volume it to probabilty...

Would it be a series of integrals or something?

Sorry, still not getting it.

Not a series of integrals- a single integral. The volume of the given cube is 1 so the probability that [itex](x- 1/2)^2+ (y- 1/2)^2+ (z- 1/2)^2\le 1/4[/itex] is is the volume of that figure.

so:

[tex]\int^{1/4}_0 (X_1 - 1/2)^2 dX_1 + \int^{1/4}_0 (X_2 - 1/2)^2 dX_2 + \int^{1/4}_0 (X_3 - 1/2)^2 dX_3[/tex]

Is that correct?

Last edited:
What geometric figure does this inequality describe?
[itex](x- 1/2)^2+ (y- 1/2)^2+ (z- 1/2)^2\le 1/4[/itex]
And what is the volume of this figure?

The shape is a sphere, but wouldn't the triple I set up in my earlier post be correct, or did I make a mistake?

No, they're not correct. All three produce the same value, the area under a parabola, and you're adding these identical areas to get, what?

Your probability represents a sphere of a certain size, within a cube-shaped region with volume 1. You don't need any calculus for this problem, just a bit of garden-variety geometry.

Sorry again, but I'm still stuck. Would it be possible to get another hint?

When you get it, you're going to slap yourself in the forehead and say "Doh!"

The probability you're trying to find in this uniform distribution is nothing more than the ratio of the volume of the ball to the volume of your 1 x 1 x 1 cube. (A ball is a solid object, all of whose surface points are equidistant from its center. A sphere is the skin of a ball.)

The ball is the set [itex](x- 1/2)^2+ (y- 1/2)^2+ (z- 1/2)^2\le 1/4[/itex].
From this inequality, I can see by inspection the center of the ball and its radius, so I pretty much know everything there is to know about the ball.

I got the ratio part, but what I'm trying to find is the volume of the ball, unless it's in fact 1/4 (which I doubut it is)

would the center of the ball be (1/2, 1/2, 1/2) and its radius is 1/8?

Last edited:
getting close radius looks a bit off... the equation of a sphere at center (a,b,c) and radius r will look like

[tex](x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (y-c)^2 = r^2 [/tex]

to understand the consider the points defined setting y=b, z=c
then
(x-a)^2 = r^2

ie the distance for x to a is the radius as expected...

since [tex]r^2 = 1/4 \rightarrow r = 1 / \sqrt{4} \rightarrow r = 1/2[/tex]

looks good

so think about how the sphere of centre (1/2,1/2,1/2) and radius 1/2 sits in the cube

first you should ask is it fully contained in the cube?

then what are the ratio of volumes?

as the variable are uniformly distributed, this ratio should give you yoru probability

Might seem like a stupid question at this point, how would I find the volume of the sphere?

Mark44 said:
For a sphere, V = 4/3 * pi * r^3

*bangs head repeteadly*

[tex]\frac{volume of sphere}{volume of cube} = \frac{ (4/3) \pi (1/2)^3}{1} ~ \frac{0.5236}{1} = 0.5236[/tex]

Mark44 said:
Like I said...

yeah, sorry. I only realized it during class the sphere isn't fully contained inside the cube, and I didn't have access to the internet to fix my mistake

since the sphere is centred at (1/2,1/2,1/2), only half of it would be inside the cube it should be:

[tex]\frac{volume of sphere}{volume of cube} =\frac{\frac{volume of sphere}{2}}{volume of cube} = \frac{ ((4/3) \pi (1/2)^3)/2}{1} ~ \frac{0.2618}{1} = 0.2618[/tex]

hopefully I didnt make another stupid mistake somewhere

The ball is of radius 1/2 and its center is at (1/2, 1/2, 1/2). It is entirely inside (or just touching) the cube.

in that case, I'm not sure where I made the mistake in:

[tex]\frac{volume of sphere}{volume of cube} =\frac{\frac{volume of sphere}{2}}{volume of cube} = \frac{ ((4/3) \pi (1/2)^3)/2}{1} ~ \frac{0.2618}{1} = 0.2618[/tex]

why did you change to dividing the sphere in half? It is fully contained in the cube (try drawing it)

I was thinking of something else.

I thought I made some sort of mistake whem mark said "Like I said" but I think he's reffering to the part of me banging my head (which I actually did)

i know the feeling...

Just to make sure, the answer of 0.5236 is the correct one, right?

Thank You both.

What is a Uniform Probability Density Function?

A Uniform Probability Density Function (PDF) is a statistical function that describes the probability of a continuous random variable falling within a certain range of values. It is a symmetric function, meaning that the probability of a value falling above or below the mean is equal.

What does a Uniform PDF look like?

A Uniform PDF appears as a flat line on a graph, with a constant probability throughout the range of values. This means that each possible outcome within the range has an equal chance of occurring.

How is a Uniform PDF different from other probability distributions?

A Uniform PDF differs from other probability distributions in that it has a constant probability throughout the range of values, while other distributions may have a higher or lower probability in certain areas. It also differs in shape, as it appears as a flat line rather than a bell curve or other shape.

What is the use of a Uniform PDF in scientific research?

A Uniform PDF is commonly used in scientific research to model situations where all outcomes are equally likely. For example, it may be used to model the distribution of heights in a population or the time it takes for a chemical reaction to occur.

What are the limitations of a Uniform PDF?

A Uniform PDF has limitations in that it may not accurately represent real-world situations where outcomes are not equally likely. It also cannot be used to model continuous data, as it only applies to discrete variables. Other probability distributions may be more appropriate in these cases.