1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly Magnetized Cylinder (B/H Field)

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See figure attached.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone explain to me why he uses,

[tex](z' -z) \quad \text{ and } \quad dz'[/tex]

What is the meaning of the ' ?

When I did this question, I preformed the integration with the limits from 0 to L with the z in tact using a differential dz.

Is that wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2
    Still looking for some help!

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    He's using [itex]z[/itex] to be the coordinate of the point where we want to calculate the magnetic field, and using [itex]z'[/itex] to be the coordinate of the current loop. The distance from the current loop to the point is [itex]z - z'[/itex], but he probably skipped a step and used [itex]z' - z[/itex] instead because [itex](z-z')^2 = (z' - z)^2[/itex]. To consider the effects of all the loops from coordinate [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]L[/itex], you have to integrate w.r.t. [itex]z'[/itex] from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]L[/itex].

If you've integrated w.r.t. [itex]z[/itex] from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]L[/itex], then you've found the magnetic field at coordinate [itex]0[/itex], but you haven't found the magnetic field at a general coordinate [itex]z[/itex].

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4
    Is there any other way you can reason this problem out without using the z'?

I'd like to see the other perspectives if there are any.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook