Method of Images from an earthed half cylinder and plane

In summary, the figure attached shows that the electric field has a potential at the top of the half cylinder, which is the same as the potential at the bottom.
JoelKTH
Homework Statement
Given a linecharge ##p_l## straight across a half-cylinder on a large ground plane, as shown in figure. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force on the line charge per unit length. Also verify that the dimension of the expression is correct. The half-cylinder and the ground plane are both metal and are treated as perfectly conducting
Relevant Equations
To get the Electric field ##d\mathbf{E} = \frac{dq'}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'}{\left|\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r}'\right|^3}##

Lorentz law ##\mathbf{F} = q\mathbf{E}##
Hi,

I want to solve the problem by method of mirroring and by using the electric field by doing superposition and then adding them up to use in Lorentz law to get the force. I have attached a figure that represents the problem.

How do I know from the figure that $-p_l$ is from the half-cylinder and why is it on the positive part of z-axis? The mirroring have opposite direction of $p_l$ depending if its from the linecharge or from the metal half cylinder.

How do I know that the ##-p_l## is on the distance ##z=\frac{a^2}{h}##?

How should I pick my source and field vectors? I believe I should have my field vector as ##r = h \hat{\mathbf{z}}##.

Kind regards,

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 67
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first figure shows the line charge as a short horizontal line of unstated length, terminating above the middle of the half cylinder. Your second looks like it is an infinite line both ways.
Can you calculate the potential at the top of the half cylinder?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Your first figure shows the line charge as a short horizontal line of unstated length, terminating above the middle of the half cylinder. Your second looks like it is an infinite line both ways.
Can you calculate the potential at the top of the half cylinder?
I actually solved it by knowing that V=0 both at the top of the cylinder and the bottom. I used two equations by adding R to the figure.

Attachments

• equation mirror.jpg
    equation mirror.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 50
  • figur.jpg
    figur.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 65
I managed to get the same answer as my professor, however we defined the charges differently.
Am I free to choose both alternative A and B(see figure attached) or is one of them to prefer?

Attachments

• mirror charge.jpg
    mirror charge.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I was a bit confused when to use what equation. From my calculations i used ##E =\frac{\rho_l}{2\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{(r-r')}{|r-r'|^3}## and got the correct result. I don't quite get why this equation is to be used compared to my first instinct:

##dE =\frac{dq}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{(r-r')}{|r-r'|^3}##,
##dq= \rho_l dr## --> ##E= \frac{\rho_l}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int \frac{(r-r')}{|r-r'|^3} dr##

How can I know which one to use?

Here are my calculations and answer:

Attachments

• calculations.jpg
    calculations.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 42
  • answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 57
Then I did dimensionanalysis and its ok. But I noticed that one needs to check the boundary conditions.
My professor writes in the solution:
To convince ourselves that the charge distribution is correct, lets examine the boundary condition. First, let z = 0. The symmetry in the choice of the line charge implies that at ##r = x\hat{x}##, we obtain (see attached figure). That means z=0 is normal to the Electric field on the plane.

I am a bit lost what is happening here. Because now my professor has used the formula that I thought I was not supposed to use.
He continues to use it to examine the semicircle: we note that on the surface of the cylinder, we have r = ##\hat{x}a \cos \theta + \hat{z}a \sin \theta##(see second attached figure).
Then, since ##\hat{x}\cos\theta + \hat{z}\sin\theta## is normal to the cylinder (parallel to r), the electric field satisfies the normal condition to the surface, and E is the unique solution.

Making me very confused.

Attachments

• E-fält kontroll .png
    E-fält kontroll .png
    3.4 KB · Views: 45
  • E-fält kontroll 2.png
    E-fält kontroll 2.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 47
JoelKTH said:
I managed to get the same answer as my professor, however we defined the charges differently.
Am I free to choose both alternative A and B(see figure attached) or is one of them to prefer?
A is not going to give a zero potential over the top of the dome.

1. What is the Method of Images from an earthed half cylinder and plane?

The Method of Images from an earthed half cylinder and plane is a mathematical technique used in electrostatics to solve problems involving conductors. It involves creating a virtual image of the original system to simplify the calculations and find the electric potential and field at any point in space.

2. How does the Method of Images from an earthed half cylinder and plane work?

The method works by placing a virtual charge or charges at specific locations in space to mimic the behavior of the original system. These virtual charges create an electric potential and field that cancel out the effects of the original system, simplifying the calculations and allowing for easier analysis.

3. What are the advantages of using the Method of Images from an earthed half cylinder and plane?

One of the main advantages of this method is that it allows for the solution of complex electrostatic problems with simple and intuitive calculations. It also provides insight into the behavior of electric fields and potential near conductors, making it a useful tool for understanding electrostatics.

4. Are there any limitations to the Method of Images from an earthed half cylinder and plane?

While the method is very useful in many cases, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to problems involving conductors and cannot be used for systems with varying charge distributions. Additionally, the method may not give accurate results for highly irregular or asymmetrical systems.

5. How is the Method of Images from an earthed half cylinder and plane used in real-world applications?

The method has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and circuits, the analysis of lightning strikes, and the calculation of electric fields and potentials in complex systems. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields and their effects on materials and living organisms.