Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniqueness of Limits of Sequences

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    Here is the proof provided in my textbook that I don't really understand.

Suppose that x' and x'' are both limits of (xn). For each ε > 0 there must exist K' such that | xn - x' | < ε/2 for all n ≥ K', and there exists K'' such that | xn - x'' | < ε/2 for all n ≥ K''. We let K be the larger of K' and K''. Then for n ≥ K we apply the triangle inequality to get:

| x' - x'' | = |x' - xn + xn - x'' | ≤ | x' - xn | + | xn - x'' | < ε/2 + ε/2 = ε​

Since ε > 0 is an arbitrary positive number we conclude that x' - x'' = 0.
    Q.E.D.​

***I understand how they got to the conclusion |x' - x''| < ε. What I don't understand is how they can conclude from that that x' -x'' = 0.

Any help is much appreciated. This isn't hw by the way. I'm just trying to better my understanding.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If |x' - x''| < ε, for any small and positive number ε, then x' and x'' are the same number. IOW, x' = x''.

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3
    In general, [itex]0\leq a<\epsilon[/itex] is satisfied for all [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] implies
    that [itex]a=0[/itex]. Since otherwise, if [itex]a>0[/itex] then taking [itex]\epsilon=a[/itex] makes contradiction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook