Unit calculations - DWI MRI (Stejskal-Tanner)

In summary: Therefore, the final unit for b is s/cm^2. In summary, to calculate the apparent diffusion D based on experimental data, you will need to convert the units of gamma, delta, G, and tau to ensure that b is in the correct unit of s/cm^2. This can be done by using conversion factors such as 1 MHz = 10^6 Hz and 1 Gs = 10^4 A/m. Once the units are converted, the final unit for b should be in s/cm^2.
Eowyn
Homework Statement
Calculate the apparent diffusion based on experimental data.
Relevant Equations
I = e^bD
b = gamma^2 * delta^2 * G^2 *(tau - delta/3)
Ok, so basically my task is to calculate the apparent diffusion D based on experimental data, which is kind of easy, BUT the problem is with unit of b...
Gamma is gyromagnetic ratio and can be expressed as: (s*T)-1 or MHz/T --> but I am not so sure, teacher did not specify
Delta is the pulse length: ms
G is the gradient of magnetic field: Gs/cm
tau - repetition time: ms

So I tried...
b = [(MHz/T)2*(ms)2*(Gs/cm)*ms] = [s/cm2 * 10-5]

How am I supposed to get b in s/cm2 from those units? How to let go that 10^-5? Or maybe it's ok, but I'm missing something when it comes to understanding.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The unit for b should be s/cm2, so you need to do some unit conversions to get to that. To convert MHz/T to s/T, you can use the fact that 1 MHz = 10^6 Hz, and 1 Hz = 1 s^(-1). So, 1 MHz/T = 10^6 s^(-1)/T. Similarly, you can convert Gs/cm to T/m by using the fact that 1 Gs = 10^4 A/m, and 1 A/m = 1 T/m. After converting the units, you should have: b = (10^6 s^(-1)/T)^2 * (ms)^2 * (10^4 T/m) * (ms) = 10^4 s/cm^2

What is DWI MRI?

DWI MRI stands for Diffusion-Weighted Imaging Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It is a type of MRI scan that measures the movement of water molecules in tissues, providing information about the microstructure and function of cells.

What is the Stejskal-Tanner equation?

The Stejskal-Tanner equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) in DWI MRI. It takes into account the strength and duration of the magnetic gradients used in the scan, as well as the time between gradient pulses.

Why is unit calculation important in DWI MRI?

Unit calculation is important in DWI MRI because it allows for the standardization of ADC values across different scanners and imaging protocols. This is crucial for accurate interpretation and comparison of results between patients and studies.

What are the units used in DWI MRI?

The units used in DWI MRI are typically expressed in square millimeters per second (mm^2/s) for the ADC value. However, some studies may also report the ADC value in square micrometers per second (μm^2/s) or square meters per second (m^2/s).

How does DWI MRI help in diagnosing diseases?

DWI MRI can help in diagnosing diseases by providing information about the microstructure and function of cells, which can be altered in various disease states. For example, restricted diffusion in certain brain regions can indicate a stroke, while increased diffusion in the lungs can indicate inflammation or infection.