Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit conventions (SI versus others)

1. Feb 3, 2017 #1
    Can anyone explain to me how it comes that US not have accepted the use of SI ?
    Do you not understand the benefits ?

Would it not be more effective if the new generation of students could concentrate on understanding fundamental physics relations rather than struggle whith old-fashioned and confusing unit transformations ?

As far as I know it is only US beside Liberia and Burma who has not understod the importance of this.
    Why ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2017 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Feb 3, 2017 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Struggle with confusing unit transformations? I don't think I ever had a physics class that didn't use SI, except the odd course that used Gaussian units. Certainty, no course ever asked me to convert foot pounds to newton meters if that's what you mean.

So we do use SI primarily in science courses, and not Imperial units in the US.

5. Feb 3, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But the US has been metric since 1866!

6. Feb 3, 2017 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Feb 3, 2017 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand the benefits. Scientists and engineers are already free to use SI if they want, and so are manufacturers. So what are the benefits?

8. Feb 4, 2017 #7

Ibix

Science Advisor

Thank you for that.
    "YARDS! What happened to CUBITS!?"
    :biggrin:

9. Feb 4, 2017 #8

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

It would be nice not to have fifty bajillion sizes of sockets in my set.

10. Feb 4, 2017 #9

Dale

So auto mechanics could reduce the cost of their tools. That would be a benefit to them, but tool manufacturers would lose sales so that would be a disadvantage to them.

11. Feb 4, 2017 #10

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Although you can run an economy by paying one batch of people to make holes and another batch of people to fill them in and while both groups of people will consider this to be to their benefit, there are better options.

12. Feb 4, 2017 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Run? I thought you said "ruin". :woot:

13. Feb 4, 2017 #12
  14. Feb 4, 2017 #13

russ_watters

Inertia.

15. Feb 4, 2017 #14

fresh_42

Would be interesting to know, where Joule is actually used instead of calories. I mean, they don't get even this right, as usually all talk about cal and mean kcal. And I can't remember a correct weather report. I usually don't get understood very well, if I complain about temperatures above 300. But °C is SI you could argue. Well, that's right, although not logical, but e.g. °mC isn't allowed here. I vote for Delisle!

P.s.: I counted 89 (sic!) different miles on the Wiki page!

16. Feb 4, 2017 #15

Mark44

Maybe you would like to volunteer to come here (U.S.) and change all of the millions of property descriptions, all of which are relative to some township (36 square miles), and one or more sections (1 square mile = 640 acres) within the township.

Here is an example property description for a place in the state of Florida. Care to take a crack at this one?

metes-and-bounds[1].png

17. Feb 4, 2017 #16

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We have the benefit of hybrid units, e.g., kW/ft (linear power) and cal/g (specific enthalpy/energy), in one particular industry. Most of my reports have incorporated both units since they were used in the US, Europe and Asia. I much prefer SI/mks, or mixed units, e.g., W/cm.

18. Feb 4, 2017 #17

OCR

Well, at least that description didn't use chains...

Although, mostly related to wildland fires, the LMAs still do, to a certain extent...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldeyes:

And then... there's also the good old DBH measurement... so if you want somebody to cruise your timber for a sale, try to find a real short person ... lol

I'm not even going to talk about log scaling, and the Scribner Decimal C rule...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldgrumpy:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  19. Feb 4, 2017 #18
    The drawback to the number 10, the basis of the metric system, is its lack of divisors. No one is complaining about a 24 hour day. One could invent a 10-part year, but then you'd lose the 4 seasons. Many things come in 12's. Some things come in 20's. When something is not metric, there's usually a very pragmatic reason to prefer that system of measure. I like inches and feet, also quarts and gallons. I hope they are not abolished.

20. Feb 4, 2017 #19

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Except most engineering applications, particularly in manufacturing, use decimals even when using inches.

Using divisions like 1/16 inch or 1/32 inch might work for construction, or something similar, but it doesn't work well in precision engineering and manufacturing. When it comes to small parts, we often use mils, or fractions of mils, and sometimes micro-inches.

21. Feb 5, 2017 #20

Ibix

Science Advisor

Tenths are convenient because we use base ten because we have ten fingers. I always said we ought to have evolved an extra finger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted