Unit conversion difficulties on simple problem

In summary, a 55 gram particle moves to the right at 41 meters per second after 27 meters of movement to the left. This requires 3.74 joules of work.
xgoddess210

Homework Statement

A 55 g particle is moving to the left at 27 m/s. How much work must be done on the particle to cause it to move to the right at 41 m/s? Answer in joules

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

27-(-41)=68 , 68*55= 3750

the units here are grams m/s. I need joules. I have no clue on how to make that happen. I can change the g to kg and even get it to Newtons (since I know a joule= Newton-meter) , but I can't take it any farther. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
xgoddess210 said:
27-(-41)=68 , 68*55= 3750

the units here are grams m/s. I need joules. I have no clue on how to make that happen. I can change the g to kg and even get it to Newtons (since I know a joule= Newton-meter) , but I can't take it any farther. Please help!

Just convert g to kg in your equation is all you need to do.

I tried that- It gives me an answer of 3.74, but that is wrong. This doesn't really make sense to me.

Once you have the correct units, your calculation is nonetheless in error. You have [tex] W = m\Delta v[/tex] , which is the change in momentum, not the work done. What is the correct equation to use for Work?

oh! The equation I have for work is W=Fx, but all that is given to me is two velocities and a mass. Force is m*a so w=m*a*x. I guess I'm still at a loss here.

Oops. That's right. I just thought you were converting units wrong like your title was asking.

Overlooked that it was work and that's not work you have.

What about figuring the change in kinetic energy then?

Are you at all familiar with the Work-Energy equation or Conservation of Total Energy equations??

What is unit conversion and why is it important?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a measurement from one unit to another. It is important because it allows for easier comparison of measurements and ensures accuracy in calculations.

What are some common unit conversion difficulties in simple problems?

Some common unit conversion difficulties in simple problems include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong conversion factor, and using the incorrect number of significant figures.

How can I avoid making mistakes in unit conversion?

To avoid mistakes in unit conversion, it is important to carefully check your work, use reliable conversion factors, and pay attention to the units being used in the problem.

What are some tips for converting between metric units?

To convert between metric units, you can use the mnemonic "King Henry Died By Drinking Chocolate Milk" to remember the order of units (kilo-, hecto-, deka-, base unit, deci-, centi-, milli-). You can also use the factor-label method to convert between units.

How can I convert between units that are not in the metric system?

To convert between units that are not in the metric system, you can use conversion factors or conversion tables. It may also be helpful to use online conversion calculators or reference books with conversion charts.