1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Conversion (mass, radius )

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In January 2006, astronomers reported the discovery of a planet comparable in size to the earth orbiting another star and having a mass of about 5.5 times the earth's mass. It is believed to consist of a mixture of rock and ice, similar to Neptune. Take mass earth 5.97 x 10 ^24 and radius earth 6.38x10^6.

If this planet has the same density as Neptune (1.76 g/cm^3), what is its radius expressed in kilometers?

What is its radius expressed as a multiple of earth's radius?

2. Relevant equations

D=MV

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt:

I got (5.97x10^24kg earth's mass / 6380 km earth's radius) x (.00176 kg mass of unknown planet mass / x the radius of the unknown planet)

= 1.068676422 x 10^-21

The answer does not seems right, I did convert each unit accordingly.

Please and thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Well for one thing, density is M/V, not M*V. I don't understand what you are doing. Where's your use of the density equation?

4. Sep 2, 2007 #3
    Nevermind, I solved it using the formula for finding the volume of sphere. In which it lead me to the final radius of 1.65 x 10 ^4 km.

Thank you anyways. :wink:

I just noticed the mistake of the D=M/V formula I stated before, :surprised can't believe I did that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?