Unit Conversion (mass, radius )

In summary, astronomers discovered a planet with a mass of 5.5 times that of Earth's and believed to have a composition similar to Neptune. Using the density of Neptune, the planet's radius can be calculated to be 1.65 x 10^4 km and is approximately 2.6 times the radius of Earth.
Heat

Homework Statement

In January 2006, astronomers reported the discovery of a planet comparable in size to the Earth orbiting another star and having a mass of about 5.5 times the Earth's mass. It is believed to consist of a mixture of rock and ice, similar to Neptune. Take mass Earth 5.97 x 10 ^24 and radius Earth 6.38x10^6.

If this planet has the same density as Neptune (1.76 g/cm^3), what is its radius expressed in kilometers?

What is its radius expressed as a multiple of Earth's radius?

Homework Equations

D=MV

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:

I got (5.97x10^24kg Earth's mass / 6380 km Earth's radius) x (.00176 kg mass of unknown planet mass / x the radius of the unknown planet)

= 1.068676422 x 10^-21

The answer does not seems right, I did convert each unit accordingly.

Please and thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for one thing, density is M/V, not M*V. I don't understand what you are doing. Where's your use of the density equation?

Nevermind, I solved it using the formula for finding the volume of sphere. In which it lead me to the final radius of 1.65 x 10 ^4 km.

Thank you anyways. :wink:

I just noticed the mistake of the D=M/V formula I stated before, can't believe I did that.

What is unit conversion?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a quantity from one unit to another unit of measurement. This is often necessary when working with different systems of measurement or when comparing data from different sources.

Why is unit conversion important in science?

Unit conversion is important in science because it allows for accurate and consistent measurements. It also allows for data to be compared and analyzed across different systems of measurement, making it easier to understand and communicate scientific findings.

How do you convert between units of mass?

To convert between units of mass, you can use a conversion factor. This is a number that represents the relationship between the two units. For example, to convert from kilograms to grams, you would multiply the number of kilograms by 1000.

What is the standard unit of mass in the SI system?

The standard unit of mass in the SI system is the kilogram (kg). This unit is defined as the mass of a specific platinum-iridium alloy cylinder kept at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures in France.

How do you convert between units of radius?

To convert between units of radius, you can use the formula R1/R2 = d1/d2, where R1 and R2 are the radii in different units and d1 and d2 are the corresponding diameters. You can also use a conversion factor if one is available for the specific units you are converting between.