Unit of Velocity from a Random Walk measured by an accelerometer

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
hoddy
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Hi, I am working on a kalman filter where my measurement equation involves "-g + v" , where g is in m/s^2 and v is velocity random walk given in m/s/sqrt(hr). Feels like a stupid question, but how can I transform the unit of velocity random walk so I can do the calculation correctly?
Hi, I am working on a kalman filter where my measurement equation involves "-g + v" , where g is in m/s^2 and v is velocity random walk given in m/s/sqrt(hr). Feels like a stupid question, but how can I transform the unit of velocity random walk so I can do the calculation correctly?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
hoddy said:
Summary: Hi, I am working on a kalman filter where my measurement equation involves "-g + v" , where g is in m/s^2 and v is velocity random walk given in m/s/sqrt(hr). Feels like a stupid question, but how can I transform the unit of velocity random walk so I can do the calculation correctly?

Hi, I am working on a kalman filter where my measurement equation involves "-g + v" , where g is in m/s^2 and v is velocity random walk given in m/s/sqrt(hr). Feels like a stupid question, but how can I transform the unit of velocity random walk so I can do the calculation correctly?
It looks to me as though you are trying to add quantities with incommensurate units. ##g## has units of acceleration, and ##v## has units that are neither velocity or acceleration. That suggests that there is an error somewhere in the derivation of the ##-g+v## term. Maybe you have assumed that some variable has a value of ##1##, and forgotten to carry along its units.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave
Also, I wonder why you are including your random walk process in the measurement equation rather than in the state propagation equation?