1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit-Pulse Response for Discrete Time System

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    The question is: Compute the unit-impulse response h[n] for n=0,1,2,3 for each of the following discrete-time systems.

y[n+1] + y[n] = 2x[n]

I am trying to figure out how to solve this equation. I understand the example in the book but I don't understand what to do when it calls a future value (n+1)

I rewrote the equation as:

When n=0 delta[n] is 1 so:
    y[0]=2*1-y[1]<-----This is where I am getting confused. Doesn't y[1] refer to my answer when I use the value n=1? How can I get a solution if each equation will refer to the next future equation? The example in the book uses y[n-1] so for each value of n it refers to the previous answer for y[n].

Any help would be much appreciated!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

It is exactly the contrary of what you did. You should write y[n+1] as a function of y[n] and x[n].
    By definition, the impulse response of a system is the zero state response of that system when the input is an impulse, so you have y[0] = 0.
    Now substitute x[n] by the impulse function and solve iteratively for y[1], y[2], y[3].
  4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    Why don't you use Z transforms. That'll provide you with some more insight.
  5. Aug 13, 2009 #4

Does this same reasoning apply if the equation is:

y[n+2] + y[n+1] + y[n] = x[n+1] - x[n]

if so, i too am lost.

is there another way to describe it?
    or could you just go through it step by step
  6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

The reasoning is the same. Start with n = -1.
    x[n] = x[-1] = 0
    x[n+1] = x[0] = 1
    x[n+2] = x[n+3] = ... = 0
    y[n] = y[-1] = 0
    y[n+1] = y[0] = 0
    Or, as unplebeian suggested, use the z-transform
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?