Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Unit-Pulse Response for Discrete Time System

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    The question is: Compute the unit-impulse response h[n] for n=0,1,2,3 for each of the following discrete-time systems.

Equation:
    y[n+1] + y[n] = 2x[n]

I am trying to figure out how to solve this equation. I understand the example in the book but I don't understand what to do when it calls a future value (n+1)

I rewrote the equation as:
    y[n]=2delta[n]-y[n+1]

When n=0 delta[n] is 1 so:
    y[0]=2*1-y[1]<-----This is where I am getting confused. Doesn't y[1] refer to my answer when I use the value n=1? How can I get a solution if each equation will refer to the next future equation? The example in the book uses y[n-1] so for each value of n it refers to the previous answer for y[n].

Any help would be much appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

CEL

It is exactly the contrary of what you did. You should write y[n+1] as a function of y[n] and x[n].
    By definition, the impulse response of a system is the zero state response of that system when the input is an impulse, so you have y[0] = 0.
    Now substitute x[n] by the impulse function and solve iteratively for y[1], y[2], y[3].

4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    Why don't you use Z transforms. That'll provide you with some more insight.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4
    Hey,

Does this same reasoning apply if the equation is:

y[n+2] + y[n+1] + y[n] = x[n+1] - x[n]

if so, i too am lost.

is there another way to describe it?
    or could you just go through it step by step

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

CEL

The reasoning is the same. Start with n = -1.
    x[n] = x[-1] = 0
    x[n+1] = x[0] = 1
    x[n+2] = x[n+3] = ... = 0
    y[n] = y[-1] = 0
    y[n+1] = y[0] = 0
    Or, as unplebeian suggested, use the z-transform

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook