1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit vector tangent to the surface

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    I have the following question:

Given that ø = (x^2)y + cos(z) find the unit vector n which is both tangent to the surface of constant ø at (1,1,∏/2) and normal to the vector b = x + y - 2z (where x y and z are the unit vectors)

I have calculated ∇ø = 2x + y - z (again where x y and z are the unit vectors)

but I am unsure what to do next.

If I want the unit vector tangent to this surface then its gradient has to be the same as what I calculated above? And if its normal to b then n dotted with b has to = 0? Just don't know how to use this information or anything else to actually calculate the unit vector n.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you call the vector you are looking for ##a=a_x \hat x + a_y \hat y + a_z \hat z##, then ##a \cdot b=0## and ##a \cdot n=0##, write down those equations and see what they tell you about the components of a.

4. Feb 23, 2014 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could follow Dick's advice. Alternatively, you could use some other operation on a pair of vectors that yields a vector that is normal to both.

5. Feb 23, 2014 #4
    Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. I want a vector that is normal to b but tangent to ∇ø, not normal to both?

6. Feb 23, 2014 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't want a vector tangent to ∇ø. The gradient ∇ø points in the direction along which ø(x,y,z) changes the fastest. That is not along a tangent to the surface of constant ø. The gradient normal to this level surface.

7. Feb 23, 2014 #6
    oh yeah of course! So i do the cross product of ∇ø and b? The vector I get as a result of that, will I then have to divide it by its magnitude to make it into the unit vector?

8. Feb 23, 2014 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. You'll get the same vector (possibly multiplied by -1) with Dick's method.

9. Feb 23, 2014 #8
    thanks for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted