Units for Strain? | Learn About Strain & Hooke's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of strain and its units in relation to Hooke's law. The original poster was confused about the units for strain and received clarification that it is dimensionless. The conversation also includes a comparison to the rating of yachts to further explain the concept.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

Here is a picture of the problem: http://imgur.com/Ldw1fUF
Make sure to click on the picture to make it bigger!

Homework Equations

The strain/hooke's law equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have this for two parts. The second part is the deformation which I got right. I am confused on what the units for strain. I got 4 x 10-4 for my answer which is wrong. How would I put the units into micrometers per meter? I think it should be a simple conversion, but let me know if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If 4 x 10-4 is the strain in m/m, and there are 106 microns in a meter, what is the strain in μm/m?

Ah thank you. Things online told me strain is dimensionless, but it was in m/m. Thank you!

Baumer8993 said:
Ah thank you. Things online told me strain is dimensionless, but it was in m/m. Thank you!

Well... It really is dimensionless: length per length. Anyway, I think of it as being dimensionless.

Baumer8993 said:

It is dimensionless in the sense that all the units "cancel out" metres divided by metres gives no units / dimensions.

Another example of this is the rating of Yachts. The Americas Cup used to be contested using what were known as 12 metre class boats.
The formula for rating a yacht is extremely complex involving the overall length, sail area, length on the waterline, mass of the hull, mass of the keel, the area of the triangle formed by the deck, mast and imaginary line from bow to mast top, and many other measurements.

When all the units are put through the formula, all except 1 metre unit cancel out so we get a 12 metre yacht: the value 12 pops out the end of the calculation, and the unit metre also results.

Strain is dimensionless because a number pops out of the calculation - the value, but the units used cancel, so the answer has no unit associated - it is dimensionless.

What is strain?

Strain is a measure of the deformation of an object in response to an applied force. It is a dimensionless quantity that describes the relative change in length, area, or volume of an object.

What are the units for strain?

The units for strain are typically represented as a percentage or in terms of microstrain (με). However, it can also be expressed in terms of length, such as meters per meter (m/m) or millimeters per millimeter (mm/mm).

How is strain calculated?

Strain is calculated by taking the change in length, area, or volume of an object and dividing it by the original length, area, or volume. This can be represented as a formula: strain = ΔL/L.

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the strain (deformation) of an object is directly proportional to the applied force, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit. This relationship is represented by the formula: stress = modulus of elasticity x strain.

What is the difference between tensile and compressive strain?

Tensile strain is the deformation of an object in response to an applied force that pulls on the object, causing it to elongate. Compressive strain, on the other hand, is the deformation of an object in response to an applied force that pushes on the object, causing it to compress.