1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units in a heat transferred calculation

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to do a calculation using: Heat transferred = mass x specific heat capacity x change in temperature
    q=mc∆T

But the value I'm trying to calculate is the change in temperature so I've rearranged the equation to ∆T= q/mc

I think the numbers and answer I have are correct, but the units are confusing me. My answer clearly needs to be in °C, the joules on the top and the bottom will cancel out but then on the bottom I'm left with kg multiplied by kg-1.

3.54 J
    450 kg x 4.2 x 103 J kg-1 °C-1

As far as I know, these don't cancel eachother out so my answer has the wrong units. I don't know if I've done the entire thing wrong if I'm just confusing myself over something silly. I'd appreciate any help at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So are you wondering what to do with kg·kg-1?

kg is the same as kg+1, so what you really have is kg+1·kg-1. Simplify that using algebra rules for exponents, and you should be all set.

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    ohh I feel really stupid now. Any number to the zero power is equal to 1. I already knew this but mistakingly thought that the result of calculating kg0 would be 1kg, but the answer is literally just 1, isn't it? So the kg does actually cancel. I feel silly for not realising, thanks very much for the help!

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome, glad it worked out for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook