Units in Z_m .... Anderson and Feil, Theorem 8.6 .... ....

In summary, In Chapter 8 of the book "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by Anderson and Feil, Theorem 8.6 discusses integral domains and fields. In the proof of this theorem, it is stated that if gcd(x,m) = d and d ≠ 1, then m = rd and x = sd, where r and s are integers with m > r, s > 1. However, it is unclear why m > r and s > 1. Upon further examination, it is clear that m > r because d > 1, and the use of s > 1 is not necessary in the proof. In some cases, such as when m = 12 and x = 3,
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 8: Integral Domains and Fields ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 8.6 ...

Theorem 8.6 and its proof read as follows:
View attachment 6434

In the above text, Anderson and Feil write the following:

" ... ... Conversely, if \(\displaystyle gcd(x,m) = d\) and \(\displaystyle d \neq 1\), then \(\displaystyle m = rd\) and \(\displaystyle x = sd\), where \(\displaystyle r\) and \(\displaystyle s\) are integers with \(\displaystyle m \gt r, s \gt 1\). ... ... "I cannot see exactly why/how \(\displaystyle m \gt r, s \gt 1\) ... can someone help me to prove that \(\displaystyle m \gt r \) and \(\displaystyle s \gt 1\) ... ... ?
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I cannot see exactly why/how \(\displaystyle m \gt r, s \gt 1\) ... can someone help me to prove that \(\displaystyle m \gt r \) and \(\displaystyle s \gt 1\)
$m>r$ holds because by definition of $r$, $m=rd$ and by assumption $d>1$. But I don't see where $s>1$ is used in the proof. It can happen, for example, that $m=12$ and $x=3$; then $d=3$, $r=4$ and $s=1$, but $xr=3\cdot4$ still gives a 0, so $x$ is a zero divisor.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$m>r$ holds because by definition of $r$, $m=rd$ and by assumption $d>1$. But I don't see where $s>1$ is used in the proof. It can happen, for example, that $m=12$ and $x=3$; then $d=3$, $r=4$ and $s=1$, but $xr=3\cdot4$ still gives a 0, so $x$ is a zero divisor.
Thanks Evgeny ... appreciate your help ...

Peter

1. What are "Units" in Z_m?

In mathematics, "units" refers to elements in a ring that have inverses. In the context of Z_m, the units are elements that have a multiplicative inverse modulo m.

2. Who are Anderson and Feil?

Anderson and Feil are mathematicians who published a paper in 1966 titled "On the Structure of Certain Rings of Integers" which introduced Theorem 8.6 about units in Z_m.

3. What is Theorem 8.6 in the paper by Anderson and Feil?

Theorem 8.6 states that for a given integer m, the units in the ring Z_m are the elements that are relatively prime to m.

4. How is Theorem 8.6 useful in mathematics?

Theorem 8.6 has various applications in number theory and abstract algebra. It helps in determining the structure of certain rings and in solving equations involving units in Z_m.

5. Can you provide an example of applying Theorem 8.6?

Sure, consider the ring Z_12. The units in this ring are 1, 5, 7, and 11, as these elements are relatively prime to 12. This means that any other element in Z_12 can be written as a multiple of these units. For example, 9 = 3*3 = 3*1*3 = 3*5*7*11 = 9*1, where 3, 5, 7, and 11 are all units in Z_12.