Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Fermat's Little Theorem ... Anderson and Feil, Theorem 8.7 .

1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 8: Integral Domains and Fields ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 8.7 (Fermat's Little Theorem) ...

Theorem 8.7 and its proof read as follows:

?temp_hash=bbfb5a4056b517e37a95ed1b249b4210.png
    ?temp_hash=bbfb5a4056b517e37a95ed1b249b4210.png

My questions regarding the above are as follows:

Question 1

In the above text from Anderson and Feil we read the following:

" ... ... Because a field has no zero divisors, each element of ##S## is non-zero ... "

Can someone please demonstrate exactly why this follows ... ?

Question 2

In the above text from Anderson and Feil we read the following:

" ... ... Because a field satisfies multiplicative cancellation, no two of these elements are the same .. ... "

Can someone please demonstrate exactly why it follows that no two of the elements of ##S## are the same .. ... "

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

*** EDIT ***

oh dear ... can see that the answer to Question 1 is obvious ... indeed it follows from the definition of zero divisor .... apologies ... brain not in gear ...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It's also obvious. If we assumed ##[x\cdot n]=[x\cdot m]## then what would this mean? You can use all field operations and again the lack of zero divisors. In general, the question to be answered is: why do fields allow multiplicative cancellations? The reason doesn't require this special field, so you may as well prove: ##a\cdot m = b \cdot m \Longrightarrow a = b## for ##a,b \neq 0## of course.

4. Feb 28, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the help fresh_42 ... grateful for your help ...

If ##[ x \cdot n ] = [ x \cdot m ]## then by cancellation in a field, we have n = m which cannot be the case for the members of the set S ...

Cancellation works in fields since every element of a field has an inverse ...

... so if ##a \cdot m = b \cdot m## then we can post-multiply by ##m^{-1}## and get ##a = b## ...

Hope that's right ...

Peter

5. Mar 1, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Well, partially. You cannot rule out the case ##m=0## at prior and operate with ##m^{-1}##.

Therefore wait as long as you can with additional assumptions.

This is more of a general advice. Instead operate without (multiplicative) inverse elements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted